Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, It seems I am going down this path once again with my second standard. The last gal we had did outgrow this. Steeler is 8 mos. old now and was head shaking several times. The vet found no infection, he also shakes after visiting the groomers. The vet got in there and really cleaned them out while he was being neutered, only to be back four weeks later. The vet is recommending a simple cleaning with oti rinse. Does anyone else use this? His ears were packed with hair but clean.

Any other great recommendations?? Suzanne

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have a standard who ears are always nasty and always itchy. They are thinking perhaps he has food allergies? He eats science diet right now and I gave her a couple of suggestions for foods to try before she goes the prescritpion dog food route. This dog is funny, after his ears get cleaned he rubs them on the floor of the crate for about five minutes. I thought he was having a siezure the first time he did it.

I think cleaning more often might help, but it might not? I would do whatever the vet suggest. I know that shaving the inside of the ear leather also helps a bit. It allows more airflow to the ear which helps keep things dry.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, funny you mentioned the food allergy thing. He has been on the same food for sometime and it is Canidae, but he could always have an underlying allergy. The vet like to give Benadryl to help it too. I give one at night. I just don't want to do that long term.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts