Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been told before but my memory is bad.

Merlin is scratching his right ear. It’s a tiny bit red on the ear drum but not much. I know there is a mix I can make at home to keep him from having an infection.

If anyone knows, thank you !

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
It's in here towards the bottom. Look for Purple Ear Wash

Poodle Ear Care - Versatility In Poodles, Inc. : Versatility In Poodles, Inc.

Amazon sent me an opened bottle of the boric acid powder so before I could try this, I just gave up and took him to the vets. He used the instill 1x, 30 day med called Claro. And $120 later, Neo was no longer bothered by his ear. Can't bathe him to for the full 30 days, so he gets washed up to his neck, then foaming waterless shampoo for his head.

or maybe you meant the info from this link

https://www.poodleforum.com/29-poodle-health/265773-what-s-recipe-problem-ears.html

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
DIY remedy is 1 cup warm water to 2 tbsps cider or white vinegar and 2 tbsps hydrogen peroxide...use to wipe out ears 2x daily
Also 'Zymox' is excellent.......

If you suspect a yeast infection, a dab of Monistat vaginal cream squished around in ear, then wipe out excess (Monistat is the same medication prescribed by vet .....'Miconazole') You can google the precise instructions for this use of Monistat in dog's ears.

Reactions: dogsavvy and Dechi

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIY remedy is 1 cup warm water to 2 tbsps cider or white vinegar and 2 tbsps hydrogen peroxide...use to wipe out ears 2x daily
Also 'Zymox' is excellent.......

If you suspect a yeast infection, a dab of Monistat vaginal cream squished around in ear, then wipe out excess (Monistat is the same medication prescribed by vet .....'Miconazole') You can google the precise instructions for this use of Monistat in dog's ears.
Thanks ! What percentage Hydrogen peroxyde ? Is 3 % okay ? Do you know if Canesten and Monistat are the same ? And how would I know if it’s a yeast infection or something else ?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks ! What percentage Hydrogen peroxyde ? Is 3 % okay ? Do you know if Canesten and Monistat are the same ? And how would I know if it’s a yeast infection or something else ?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions...
In my experience a yeast infection will definitely smell yeasty. Kind of a breadlike smell. I know because Misha's having some issues with that and it's very obvious lol.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
3% is good and most of the time yeast IS the cause of ear infections ..... the cause is usually from dampness /water in the ears from bathing or swimming so drying out the ears after a bath is good.....
Not sure if you can use Canesten cream in ears although it is an antifungal(Clotrimazole) I'd ask your Vet..... One website says Vets use it for skin fungus but says don't use in ears??? Can cause deafness was noted as a possible side effect........ (Never heard of Canesten so I Googled it Hahaha!)https://diamondbackdrugs.com/treating-fungal-infections-with-clotrimazole/

Also, if he has been scratching at that ear, be sure to treat the feet too. Simple vinegar sprayed a couple times a day to kill any yeast under those toenails! 'frito feet' LOL!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3% is good and most of the time yeast IS the cause of ear infections ..... the cause is usually from dampness /water in the ears from bathing or swimming so drying out the ears after a bath is good.....
Not sure if you can use Canesten cream in ears although it is an antifungal(Clotrimazole) I'd ask your Vet..... One website says Vets use it for skin fungus but says don't use in ears??? Can cause deafness was noted as a possible side effect........ (Never heard of Canesten so I Googled it Hahaha!)https://diamondbackdrugs.com/treating-fungal-infections-with-clotrimazole/

Also, if he has been scratching at that ear, be sure to treat the feet too. Simple vinegar sprayed a couple times a day to kill any yeast under those toenails! 'frito feet' LOL!
Thank you ! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
A few days after I got Mr. Layne home, we were sitting next to each other & I caught a whiff of something stinky. It was his ears. I washed his ears until all was clean. 24 hours later... stinky. What the heck???? I was using an ear cleaning solution made for dogs. I cleaned until everything came out clean. I went online & started researching. Oh boy.

So I went online & ordered another cleaner of a different variety & a drying lotion (both made for dogs of course). But in the meantime I gotta deal with these ears while we're awaiting delivery. Clean, clean... lots of gunk. Nothing smelled yeasty. He wasn't scratching like it was ear mites. He hasn't been swimming & at that point I hadn't given him a bath so... mixed vinegar & alcohol with water. Cleaned the ear out using that.

Next, I used a method I picked up after talking to several of the hound people. I went to forums like ours but for hound dogs. When searching for ear problems, I learned a lot of hound people tie up the ears for an hour per day (or whatever rate seems to work for the dogs) & it allows air to circulate & keeps the ears drier. Cool, I can do that. So sometimes while I have Mr. Layne up on the groom table, I'll use a hair scrunchie & pull the ears gently up through it & he's adorable while I brush & the ears get air. Mr. Layne is not fond of his ears being out of place so I have to keep putting them back up. Other times I can flop an ear over his head & he'll just leave it. I also have panty hose which I can fold his ears as I like & put it onto his head so it holds his ears back & still allows air flow. I shared this with the hound folk & a basset breeder was over the moon. My imagination keeps me in stitches thinking about those big ol bassets with panty hose over their heads to keep their long floppies back :)

I also keep gentian violet on hand if all of the above didn't work.

By the time my stuff was delivered, we had Poodle ears under control. Then I added the drying lotion & he's been fine ever since. I do an ear sniff test once a day. I used the drying lotion once a week for about 3 weeks & haven't had to use it since.

In Mr. Layne's case, I don't think it was anything more than something was trying to get started & I nipped it before it could manifest into infection. The Giant Schnauzer people swear by the Gentian Violet. I got two bottles online at Walmart for under $10. I keep it on hand in case nothing else works but they do get a purple ear from it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts