Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"It is soooooooooooo exhausting Mom !!!!!"
Pink is the colour de jour lately!

It is so funny..........3 times this week people have stopped us just to ask to take a picture of her nail polish, and one of them was a man....he wanted to show his wife!!! LOL!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do you use specialty nail polish just for dogs? I see Ryan's pet supplies carries pet nail polish. How fast does it dry? Do you experience any difficulty with your dog wanting to lick his nails right way?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you use specialty nail polish just for dogs? I see Ryan's pet supplies carries pet nail polish. How fast does it dry? Do you experience any difficulty with your dog wanting to lick his nails right way?
I do have 'dog' polish but it really is no different than human polish so I use both kinds (Sally Hansen is my fav for drying fast!).......as far as her cooperating, I started doing her nails when she was a pup and I use a blow dryer on 'cool' to set the polish quickly, but I still have to hold her paw until it is set or it WILL smear......she has learned to be very still! It takes about 5 minutes per paw so it is a lengthy process for her! And No, she has never wanted to lick them! LOL!

Reactions: NatalieAnne and hkb

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
And I would like to compliment you on the fact that you polish her nails, but still keep them so nicely trimmed. Almost every time that I see a dog with polish it is on way to long nails and it makes me cringe!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is gorgeous!
What I would like to know is how you take it off without getting the color on her hair and making her feet stink like polish remover!
I use A LOT of polish remover on a cotton pad and always wipe DOWN the nail. The only color I hate because it stains so badly is red.... so I don't do red very often! Also they don't smell, since like I said I wipe down the nail avoiding the hair as much as I can................and usually I clip/dremel her nails the day before, when she gets her bath. So really I'm painting clean nails!

And Thanks! for the nice compliment.....I am fussy about clipping her nails! They grow really fast and need to be dremeled a lot!!!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I use whatever polish I am using for the 2 weeks. They do not like the smell, but they are used to it, naturally when I get the polish, I have to go find the dogs, no one wants to be first.

Speaking of that, I could not find my grinder for nails and clipped them and poor Bella I went into the quick, I was sick. Put her foot in cornstarch and called the vet a t 9PM. Apparently her quick goes down the nail a long way, but her she is with one foot that only has 4 nails on it. She got a lot of loven that night

·
Registered
62 Posts
And I would like to compliment you on the fact that you polish her nails, but still keep them so nicely trimmed. Almost every time that I see a dog with polish it is on way to long nails and it makes me cringe!
I have a thing for long nails - I don't like to hear them on the laminate floor!
And I HATE clipping nails...a dilemma indeed :afraid:
Groomers and Vets just don't seem to touch them at all when I ask to have them done really short.
I had one brilliant Vet before we moved, he was all for the short nails and explained how much you can actually take off and that they don't pull away because it's painful but uncomfortable and unfamiliar because of the pinch.

We adopted a Cocker Spaniel when I was little and he had one nail that had grew all the way around into his paw. For some reason my parents never actually had an operation on him to remove it, I just remember my mum's continuous struggle with trying to clip that thing to keep it from digging into his paw. Nightmare!

Since then I've always been afraid to not keep on top of keeping the nails short and so the nerve will grow long and in the end you can't clip them shorter :ahhhhh:

I dog sat a Jack Russel once and the owner said they are supposed to have long nails (digging for foxes? I dunno) and she got her nail stuck in a slit in an old stair case and pulled the whole nail off exposing the nerve!! CRINGE!!! :afraid: My WORST nightmare!!

Anyone else "scared" of nails? :afraid:

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I have a thing for long nails - I don't like to hear them on the laminate floor!

And I HATE clipping nails...a dilemma indeed :afraid:

Groomers and Vets just don't seem to touch them at all when I ask to have them done really short.

I had one brilliant Vet before we moved, he was all for the short nails and explained how much you can actually take off and that they don't pull away because it's painful but uncomfortable and unfamiliar because of the pinch.

We adopted a Cocker Spaniel when I was little and he had one nail that had grew all the way around into his paw. For some reason my parents never actually had an operation on him to remove it, I just remember my mum's continuous struggle with trying to clip that thing to keep it from digging into his paw. Nightmare!

Since then I've always been afraid to not keep on top of keeping the nails short and so the nerve will grow long and in the end you can't clip them shorter :ahhhhh:

I dog sat a Jack Russel once and the owner said they are supposed to have long nails (digging for foxes? I dunno) and she got her nail stuck in a slit in an old stair case and pulled the whole nail off exposing the nerve!! CRINGE!!! :afraid: My WORST nightmare!!

Anyone else "scared" of nails? :afraid:

I am really fortunate in that my breeder takes them down insanely short for me before they come home and as such I don't have any trouble keeping them nicely short there after.
Have you thought about trying a grinder? I love it - if I keep looking I can usually see when I am getting to the quick before I actually hit it, and even if I do, it is just a tiny drop of blood, not a gusher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts