Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Last week everyone gave me great suggestions on how to stop 14 wk old Quincy from humping and nipping me. I am so happy to report that we are on day 3 of no humping, no nipping and finally JUST LOVING MY PUPPY! I know I will encounter lots of other behaviors but I am so happy to be past this one. MY THANKS TO THE POODLE VILLAGE! 馃槝馃槝

Registered
All my dogs love Hedgie. I am cheap though, I buy them Santa Hedgie in January, ha-ha. The hat is the first thing they remove. Glad to hear that you are enjoying Quincy more now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
All my dogs love Hedgie. I am cheap though, I buy them Santa Hedgie in January, ha-ha. The hat is the first thing they remove. Glad to hear that you are enjoying Quincy more now.
Hedgie is a big deal here! Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hooray! Would love to know what you tried and what you think may have helped.
I started going into the bathroom - without him when he humped and then when he figured out how to open the door, I started crating him every time he humped, I used a deeper voice when I told him off. I told him his new owners would not be as nice as me.

I honestly don鈥檛 know what worked it was like a switch just clicked off and he is the sweet puppy that everyone else saw but me!
Suddenly he is into cuddling and is calmer - until the next phase! I don鈥檛 know what I would鈥檝e done without all the suggestions and support here, I was literally ready to give up!

Super Moderator
Another thing I did was to take the advice to make sure he sleeps more. Boy he sleeps a lot!
I'm so glad you were open to that one! It can feel super counterintuitive. Especially since so many of us have watched that popular TV trainer who exercises his dogs until they drop. We think "Crazy dog? Must need more exercise!"

And sometimes that's definitely true. If you're coming home from work and your dog's been bored and alone for 10 hours, a nap is probably the last thing he needs. Lol.

So we have to collect the facts, tune into our dogs, and be flexible thinkers. There are no one-size-fits-all solutions.

That's one thing I worry about when people get advice here or from well-meaning friends or family. Unless the advice-giver really take the time to ask questions, they could do more harm than good. And even the best techniques are pretty useless without a solid puppy-rearing framework/daily routine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts