Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you do?

I donated to two environmental organizations I have long supported (one I used to be on the board if directors for and is small, the other is the Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology). I also gave a smaller donation to "Bend the Arc" which is an organization that I became aware of after the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting. The work across religious and other lines to combat anti-semitism and racism. My other donations were to Doctors Without Borders and to Heifer International where I donated a goat, a sheep and 2 flocks of chicks.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I love that our organizations are grouped on one website so you can log on and donate at to all the groups all at one time - it's a lot more convenient. I donated to arts and social organizations.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh for sure donating time is as important as sending money. As I mentioned I was on the board (and was president of the board) for many years for the small environmental organization I did a donation for. Where do you volunteer ZM? Is it related to your grad program?

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
I made my DS’s Christmas wish St. Jude’s donation and doubled it. How wonderful for parents of children stricken with cancer, not to have to worry about medical bills or lodging. I just re upped my NPR sustaining membership, two weeks ago, and have given to several public interest groups earlier in the year. It was nice to have the Giving Day reminder for St. Jude’s.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh for sure donating time is as important as sending money. As I mentioned I was on the board (and was president of the board) for many years for the small environmental organization I did a donation for. Where do you volunteer ZM? Is it related to your grad program?
Yes, I'm a counselor on the suicide and crisis hotline. We take calls from the county as well as the national suicide hotline. I just started up again about a year ago when I moved back to the Bay Area after a long absence. The hours won't count toward my licensure hours, but it's certainly a very rewarding and meaningful experience.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suicide has touched the lives of more of my friends than seems decent. Two colleagues from my department (one who is a very good friend), a friend from another department who is very dear to me and a friend of my aunt's who has tried to kill herself several times all come immediately to mind. A thoughtful ear is so important to people in crisis.

Mfmst that is a wonderful donation for St. Jude's. I too have a sustaining membership for npr but then I also saw an email from the New York Botanic Garden which I have a generous membership with but the email showed that for every $25 they would be able to donate a ticket for the Holiday Train Show (which is very special if you are in the NYC area while it is on you should go) to an organization supporting work in the Bronx community including several that deal with homelessness and impoverished children. the idea of having a poor child from the area be able to enjoy the wonderment of the train show was impossible to resist, so one more small donation.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I volunteer too - I run outreach programs for my library. Volunteers are a very valuable resource in our communities and much needed for many programs. It's very rewarding.

I admire zooeysmom for working as a counselor on the suicide and crisis hotline - it's a very difficult job.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
I support the Lakota tribe in honor of my mother (RIP) and my mother-in-law (RIP) They both gave to the Lakota charities and I am luckily able to continue their efforts. There are also various programs I support in my community (such as feeding needy children in the schools, the local food bank, local Salvation army - of course the public library as I was a librarian. Good for you, our volunteers in PF - your time is much valued and appreciated. Wonderful to hear y'all on Giving Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Claire my mom was a librarian also. It is such a wonderful profession. I know my mom helped hundreds if not thousands of people during her working life. I am sure you did (and still do) too.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I do my mothy donations to St Jude, and Susan Komen. Other than that I regularly donate to our local food bank and each Christmas we get names of children from families that utilize the food bank and our subdivision "adopts" a child, and we fulfill their wish list. My friend and I started this about 16 years ago. I since give are just wrapping up the gifts now and will deliver them to the food bank where they will be distributed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts