Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
By mid-late afternoon, the temp dropped to a windy 30s and for a brief time, it snowed w/o sticking. I don't get cold easily and have been wearing a light jacket since November, but today I thought I need to dig out my winter coat. The sweaters I have for Bella wouldn't help her at all today given the wind; she'd be begging to go back inside within 30 seconds. This jacket my daughter gave her from last Christmas (2017) when she was 4 months old no longer fits.

Premium Member
The sweaters I have for Bella wouldn't help her at all today given the wind; she'd be begging to go back inside within 30 seconds. This jacket my daughter gave her from last Christmas (2017) when she was 4 months old no longer fits.

Does Bella have a winter coat? I've been debating on whether or not to get Rocky one.

Premium Member
BBBRRR -And I complain when it is 40 degrees - gotta love the south.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4
Does Bella have a winter coat? I've been debating on whether or not to get Rocky one.
It depends on Rocky's lifestyle.

As for Bella, she outgrew the coat which really didn't get much use, so I see no reason to replace it. With the winter weather, the only time she'll go outside is for a trip to the vet, which is a warm ride in the car wearing one of her sweaters.

Otherwise she's very much an apartment poodle and uses Wee-Wee pads, b/c walking a dog before and after work and then again at night has never been my idea of fun. When my kids were growing up, the mandatory 4x/day "walks" were easy: just let 'em out in the backyard to eliminate, and save the real walks for the real fun, like a weekend stroll on our neighborhood trail, or sometimes, camping.

We're supposed to have our first snow this weekend, so I will take her outside so she can see and play in it until she's ready to go back in, and maybe I'll snap a few pics.

Premium Member
Vita:

It depends on Rocky's lifestyle.
I understand. Rocky only potties outside and we go for short walks in the cold weather. He does have a tshirt, a sweater and a 'blanket' coat but with so much options on the market, I'm debating if he needs a warmer coat than the 'blanket' coat.

If only Rocky could talk...my life would be easier...maybe

Registered
LOL yep love being in the South, we never know what our weather will be from day to day, yesterday it was 60 degree F two days earlier 72, and this morning its 34 degrees, it she reach mid 50's but windy. I am wearing my winter down jacket, lol

Registered
Not a fan of the cold, we saw a few flakes here too yesterday.

SMSP, I think each dog is an individual in how they respond to the weather. I had a tpoo years ago. She was fine outside with a short hair cut. When she went outside to play in the snow with the kids I made her a snowcoat from an old stretchy terrycloth sleeper the kids out grew - this was not so much for warmth but to keep the snow from forming snow balls in her fur.

My current minipoo wears coats. I rarely put one on for her to go outside for a short walk to potty. She does wear them if we go walk in the park for an hour or two (we go to the park often). I have several coats (okay I have a ton but most are gifts from my kids and friends - why people think I want more coats for my dog is beyond me but they keep giving us coats and look forward to seeing her in their coat). I do think it's good to have a lightweight one for when the weather dips below freezing and your dog is cold. And a windproof warmer one is handy for those really cold windy days.

Reactions: SMSP

Premium Member
Skylar:
I made her a snowcoat from an old stretchy terrycloth sleeper the kids out grew
That's an ingenious DIY idea!

...why people think I want more coats for my dog
Because coats are a whole lot cuter than plain fur :)

I have a lightly lined raincoat (for when there's cold torrential rain) and a blanket coat. Was thinking of putting on both for really cold weather. If it doesn't work, and he shivers then I can go online and get a warmer coat delivered within an hour...I mean 1 - 2 days.

I appreciate your input. I prefer to be practical and minimal with clothing. Heaven knows Rocky is spoiled enough. I don't want to walk down the path of giving him a closet of clothes... as adorable as it would be.

Registered
Skylar:

That's an ingenious DIY idea!

Because coats are a whole lot cuter than plain fur :)

I have a lightly lined raincoat (for when there's cold torrential rain) and a blanket coat. Was thinking of putting on both for really cold weather. If it doesn't work, and he shivers then I can go online and get a warmer coat delivered within an hour...I mean 1 - 2 days.

I appreciate your input. I prefer to be practical and minimal with clothing. Heaven knows Rocky is spoiled enough. I don't want to walk down the path of giving him a closet of clothes... as adorable as it would be.
My girls have their won chester drawer, in my bedroom, and they know their clothes are there. I use snowsuits when I take them outside as normally they are cut really short. As far as coats, thank God for the difference in size and most of mine are in those sized, they have rabbit coats, leopard coats, USA sweat suits. This is the best I have found
snowsuite jpg (2).jpg

2017 snow suits outsid (2).jpg

snowsuite jpg.jpg

Registered
By mid-late afternoon, the temp dropped to a windy 30s and for a brief time, it snowed w/o sticking. I don't get cold easily and have been wearing a light jacket since November, but today I thought I need to dig out my winter coat. The sweaters I have for Bella wouldn't help her at all today given the wind; she'd be begging to go back inside within 30 seconds. This jacket my daughter gave her from last Christmas (2017) when she was 4 months old no longer fits.

I am in ST Michaels, MD did not realize your area, love dining in DC

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #11
I am in ST Michaels, MD did not realize your area, love dining in DC
Oh, you're on the other side of the Bay. My brother lives in Prince Frederick where we can walk to the beach. I often stop at Brick Wood Fired Bistro on Rt 4. My favorite is their lump crab pizza, and they have other good food in a woody, casual atmosphere.

If you haven't already and love prime cuts of meat and poultry, check out Fogo de Ch茫o Brazilian Steakhouse in DC. It's pricey and posh, and the waitstaff walks around to tables with high quality different cuts of beef, lamb, pork, chicken (I may have had duck there once too), cooked differently, you name it they've got it, and delicious vegetables. There's also a beautiful salad bar, and it's the kind of place that's a treat, ideal for a special occasion.

Registered
3 to 5 inches of snow forecast here. The dogs will love it but I鈥檓 likely to miss Saturday鈥檚 nosework class. Just not worth driving during a snowstorm.

Registered
I sure will try next time I get to DC, Thanks Know Prince Frederick down to Crisfield. I love steamed crabs and backfin crab cakes, have not tried the restaurant yet

Premium Member
We finally had a break in the rain and some pleasant weather, nearly 70:) Rain returns tomorrow because Buck just got groomed. He is my drought prevention poodle.

Vita, Fogo makes money on me. A rookie mistake if you are there for the meat is to visit the lavish salad bar. I like meat, but 6-8 oz. is my limit. George H.W. Bush befriended the Brazilian owner鈥檚 and suggested they come to Texas. Big hit, bless him.

Premium Member
glorybeecosta:

I use snowsuits when I take them outside as normally they are cut really short.
I will consider a snowsuit. Took Rocky outside wearing a tshirt and his blanket coat this morning in about 4 inches of snow. The underside of the tshirt and front legs of the tshirt was soaking wet, as to be expected. Considering it was about 29 F maybe a snowsuit isn't a bad idea since I would like opportunities to go for long walks regardless of the temperature.

It was a short potty walk this morning and by the time I came in, there was a patch of ice tangled into the fur one of his legs. Had to use a comb to get it out. Yes fur keeps him warm but if it's matted with ice... ???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts