Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normie has 3 harnesses that he uniformly hates. From a human's perspective, they fit.

Does your dog like his harness? What type/brand would you suggest?

Normie's more than willing to sit to have a leash attached to his collar. But when he sees the harness, he loses the ability to cooperate.

We just went through 10 minutes when he refused to 'sit' when wearing his harness. Once I removed it, he sat at first request.

I'm wondering if he doesn't like the way it feels behind his front legs at the shoulder. But I don't know what style to try next.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Topper - 6-month old mini - seems to like his Freedom no pull harness. it's sold by 2Hounds Design. The straps that go between his front legs and around his girth - behind his front legs - are lined with velvet, so it's a softer feel than just a nylon strap. The 5/8" width looks too wide, but I think it keeps the strap from pinching. That said, he still plays "Keep Away from Mommy" when I get the harness out, with baffles me because Topper loves to go for walks. Maybe he just has to get puppy nautyness out of his system before the walk. Or maybe he wants me to warm my reward of being able to go for a walk with him.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
I do like the velvet straps on the Freedom harness. That’s what Peggy uses. But she’s really not a fan. She’s an angel when it’s time to put her collar on. Leash, too. But when the harness comes out? She runs, hops, woofs, etc. Just generally loses her mind. This seems to be a fairly common reaction to harnesses.

We now only put it on her once she’s already outside, where for some reason she doesn’t react to it.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I would think the least invasive type of harness is the step-in harness. Less material, less rubbing. That's what I have for Beckie and Merlin. As soon as they see a leash or harness, both start whining and jumping to have it put on.

Have you tried leaving in on in the house until he no longer pays attention to it ? It’s not something Inwould do long term but for learning purposes it would be okay.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I would check out this post first before purchasing your next harness

I have the Sleepypod harness which I use strictly for travel in the car. I love how safe and comfortable this is as a travel harness, but I believe it impedes normal gait when used as a walking harness.

I also have a BrilliantK9 harness which is very similar to the Julius K9. My minipoo hates this type of harness and after reading the above post I understand this impedes her normal gait.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Normie appreciates your responses. So do I.

We only use Sleepypod for the car. But, and, this may be big, once it's on and we're out, we're stuck with it at dog training or in the park.

Once we're walking, he seems to have no problems with any harnesses. On each walk at some point, I make him Sit and Down to reinforce that we can do it any time. No problems. But he refuses when wearing the harness while in the house.

Perhaps we'll let him reject the Freedom harness too.

Harness = poodle girdle? Then they have my sympathy.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I settled on this style strictly for walking. The boys have no objections whatsoever to it.

Super easy step in with about an inch or so adjustment possible.

XSmall fits 11" - 12"
Small fits 13" - 14"
Medium fits 15" - 16"
Large fits 17" - 18"
XLarge fits 19" - 20"

This site has a leather version which has a more extended size range.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I started with that type, and one of that brand specifically, as well as the American River/Doggie design.
I switched to the one I posted after seeing how high up on the throat they rose.

I never worry about that with the VelPro's.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
We use a Haqihana harness. It is designed to provide no restriction on movement or pressure to the trachea. Was recommended by Misha's breeder. It is more adjustable than any other harness I've used and is not at all restrictive. Misha used to really dislike putting on harnesses but as he aged he got better. For agility I have trained him to put his head through his agility martingale lead. It is something he would naturally avoid but it was not too hard to teach using treats. Having it be his choice to follow the command makes him feel in control and he is willing to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We use a Haqihana harness. It is designed to provide no restriction on movement or pressure to the trachea. Was recommended by Misha's breeder. It is more adjustable than any other harness I've used and is not at all restrictive. Misha used to really dislike putting on harnesses but as he aged he got better. For agility I have trained him to put his head through his agility martingale lead. It is something he would naturally avoid but it was not too hard to teach using treats. Having it be his choice to follow the command makes him feel in control and he is willing to do it.
What size of the haqihana harness does Misha wear? Looking to get one as well but it seems we are right in between sizes..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts