Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought dogs merely tolerated a hug from their crazy humans every once in a while, but, at 4 months, Peggy offers them up. Sometimes it's a full-body embrace, other times just a head on the shoulder, but all unmistakably hugs!

Is this a spoo thing?

Here she is, heaping affection on my husband. Forgive the scruff - both are due for a shave ?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Yes. my minipoo climbs on top of my DH in the evening just like yours. It’s her signal that she wants to go to bed to sleep. She puts her head down on his shoulder to sleep.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Awwww, that is so cute. No, Mr. Layne is not a hugger but he's a leaner. He loves getting his chin, throat, chest scratched. I get his face & tell him, "here comes a nose smooch" & slowly move in for the kiss on the nose. At first he seemed puzzled, now he gets very still & sometimes offers his nose up. My Giant loves nose smooches so I tried it with him. Some dogs do not like that sort of thing at all which is why I signal it's coming & move slow so he can tell me if he doesn't like it. The first time I did it he was wiggly but after that he sits pretty & seems to enjoy the attention.

Peggy is getting cuter by the day.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Buck lops a front leg over DH in a bro hug at night, and then scootches him to the edge of the bed, so he can hog a big middle. I made a point of getting Buck used to hugs when he was 4 on the floor, with children in mind. He loves being hugged. Not that I’ve allowed my toddler grandson to do that, but eventually. They are both in awe of each other at this point and favorably disposed so good thoughts forward.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I always thought dogs merely tolerated a hug from their crazy humans every once in a while, but, at 4 months, Peggy offers them up. Sometimes it's a full-body embrace, other times just a head on the shoulder, but all unmistakably hugs!

Is this a spoo thing?

Here she is, heaping affection on my husband. Forgive the scruff - both are due for a shave ?
That is just too cute!!

Miracle doesn't hug, but she absolutely loves sitting on my lap and just staring into my eyes when I pet her. She will sit in the most uncomfortable positions so that she can stare at me when I am petting her. Sometimes she will almost fall asleep even when sitting that way.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yup, when me and my husband “decompress” after work at the kitchen table, sometimes Milo will paw at my foot or his foot. We turn and he jumps on either one lap and gives a hug. I like to think he thinks we may need it after a sometimes stressful day at work.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Poppy leans, especially if she is feeling off colour or nervous. She stretches herself against my chest and presses hard against me, asking to be cuddled. And at night she always comes for a cuddle under the duvet before deciding where on the bed to sleep. But I think a cuddle - arms wrapped round but not too tightly, with escape always an option - may not be quite the same as a hug, which to me implies much a much tighter hold.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Norman loves hugs!! When he sits on my bed in the AM while I get ready for work, he always reaches for a hug (paws a my hands/arms). When I hug him he will lay his head on my shoulder and just relax his body for a few moments. Makes my heart melt every time, I feel like a good mommy!!! He does this often, especially in the kitchen he will have me sit on the floor with him and hug. I know he wants a hug because he keeps pawing at me until he gets a hug and once he does, he stops pawing!! I wish I could get it on photo but I enjoy those moments too much to move :) But what I dont like is when I get a surprise attack hugs/cuddles/kisses while sleeping on the couch and he decides im HIS couch!! LOL

So glad Peggy is the same way! It is such a happy feeling when your dog initiates hugs/cuddles/kisses!!

Unfortunately when I go for hugs, he will try and eat my ponytail or hair clip LOL! So its only on his terms that the good hugs happen :)

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I think it's not a spoo thing, but a dog thing...some dogs. Some like it, some don't. It's not likely a natural or intrinsic thing for them. But I don't go along with that blanket statement the "they" say that dogs don't like to be hugged. I have and have had dogs of various breeds that love to be hugged, probably because they've been conditioned to liking it, having had it paired with another thing that they like or that feels good to them. It just goes along with love from their human. And I had two that draped their front leg over the other one in true tight, spooning fashion.

I don't know what happens to photos but I see several of mine have disappeared in my computer. But I have pictures of my dogs hugging somewhere...maybe Photobucket, which has screwed up my photos. My Matisse totally presses in for a hug, forceably squeezes and melds into me when he's feeling affectionate...so cute. :angel: And when my daughter knelt down in front of my Dobe, I got a picture of him hugging her. And when she tried to extract herself from him, he pulled her in closer with his paws, not wanting her to get up. lol. Little Maurice at first didn't like to be hugged or put on his back. Now, he gets it and likes it just fine. So, they're all different in their style I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reading this thread is making me smile ?

Peggy will often dodge head pats, so she's not an affection junkie, at least not yet. Maybe that's what makes the hugs feel so special. They are fleeting but intentional.

I also love a bowed head jammed between my knees. She did this last week at puppy class, as if to say "I'm having a lot of fun out here, but I still need you." And then it was right back to play.

·
Registered
338 Posts
PeggyTheParti, when you said her head jammed between legs almost to say "but I still need you" is SO true for Norman too! Really makes me happy. He does this to me at the vet, training, and sometimes in public parks. When he gets a little too worked up or scared he always jams his head between my legs (getting a little too tall LOL) but it lets me know he needs a moment to chill and to be told that everything is ok. Then like you said, back to playing!!!

The past check-up at the vet, Norman just was not in the mood to be touched by the vet or the techs. (very sweet people) but this 50lbs fur ball insisted in sitting in my lap for the exam.. LOL!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mia is not a hugger, but she's learned to tolerate them under certain conditions. I sometimes sneak a hug in when she's standing in the car and I reach in to put on her harness. At other times, however, when I hug her, she licks her lips afterward, so I know it made her uncomfortable.

There are only certain times when she seeks physical closeness: she's cold (in winter she will lay close to me and accept snuggles), she's hurt (she will curl up next to me when she's unwell), or she's scared (happened only when tornadoes touched down nearby).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts