Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're still dealing with some tummy troubles from Bella and cannot find the source. I'm beginning to wonder if it's nerves or something and not food. Or something she gets into in the yard, but anyway. Everyone suggested chicken last time...is there any difference with doing turkey?

Also, do you think white or dark meat?

She seems to do okay in the chicken and rice diet or the tripe and rice diet (we just need to defrost more b/c the holiday dinner took up all the refridgerator space!). Dh thinks maybe it is the kibble, but it's so hard to tell. Yesterday she wasn't well again, and she'd only had chicken and rice - yet it was very strange in the home with the holidays so maybe, nerves?

Thanks!
Melanie

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes, turkey is fine. I've used both white and dark. The dark tends to have a bit more fat usually attached to it so be sure there isn't any on it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can get super lean ground turkey in a roll that would be perfect for her. That and also rice and cottage cheese would be a very easy gland diet for her.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

We're wondering if it's a lactose problem, also, so trying to avoid dairy. She used to get plain yogurt frozen in a kong with her kibble. Really in copious amounts. 2-3 times a day as I left (then she'd have 2 meals instead of 3 meals). Night before last, Dh gave her some leftovers (veggies and shredded cheese ... I know, I know) in her kong then the next AM was the 'recurrence.' So though I don't know WHAT it was since he gave her two new things, I am wondering if it was the cheese. She's had random veggies or fruits here and there in the past without issue. And I don't think he gave her much.

For now, it's of course Christmas-leftover turkey. I'm just giving her a little white meat with the rice. I think that ought to be fairly lean. And wouldn't it be healthier than ground since I know the origin of this?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ground meat for human consumption is perfectly healthy and maybe healthier than the christmas turkey meat since that stuff was seasoned. If you boil the ground stuff it seems to be the best.
However she shouldnt be left on this bland diet for a long time since its lacks in a bunch of vitamins she needs.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
We save leftover turkey at thanksgiving and christmas after we eat turkey for a few days the rest goes in the freezer for the dogs. We then use it to make "chicken and rice" which for whatever reason we still call chicken and rice even when we use turkey to make it whenever anyone has an upset tummy and needs something bland for a few days to recover.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mister, I guess my opinion of 'ground meat' is tainted by the fact that I, myself, am not a meat-eater. ;) I am sure it's as 'healthy' as any other ground meat. I just tend to refer to ground meat as 'mystery meat.' LOL.

We're not planning on this long term, but I just don't know what else to do for her tummy. :( Normally we supplement with vitamins, enzymes, probiotics, etc. anyway. At the moment I'm going somewhat light on them in case that is the irritant as well. I had stopped altogether to make sure it wasn't the cause, and am slowly adding them back in. For now just the digestive enzymes.

I am just stumped b/c nothing was new in her diet!
Thank you everyone for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of my poodles is rather skinny and has some sensitive stomach issues. I tried all the meats with rice as well and found the meats are not the issue but the rice was. I swithced the rice to potatoes and that did the trick. He loves the potatoes too! I just boil them and smash them skins and all.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Her kibble is grain-free, but it was the 'tummy trouble' diet that had white rice. She did okay on it.

Thanks to my aunt, the animal genius, I think we have found the cause! Right when Bella started getting sick the kibble company changed their formula! Dh wants to keep using it and introduce it slowly, but I'm thinking of just switching to a poultry (they offer chicken or duck) and sweet potato version.

Is there a reason that venison (kibble) would be better for poodles?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To be honest - if your spoo has such a sensitive stomach - I would just stick with home-made food . There are so many books and web-sites with all kind of dog diets that are certainly more healthy in the long run anyway. I agree that she can not live just of rice and chicken but it does not mean that you can not make a "complete" meals for her with super quality meets !!! If you wonder "what is in the ground turkey" in your grocery - what do you think is in a dog kibble LMAO - just a food for thought :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts