Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been perusing some grooming websites, trying to get some tips and learn more about grooming, so that I can get better at grooming my own 2 spoos at home. I have heard people raving about their Hanvey Bathing Beauty recirc. bathing systems, but I cannot justify spending that much $$ just for my 2 dogs. I have also read about other people recreating this system with a homemade bathing system, using a utility pump, hose and nozzle. Has anyone here done this? Is this something that I can use in my regular bathtub at home? Bathing and scrubbing my 2 spoos is killing my back, and anything to make it easier would be awesome! If anyone could tell me more about this, and provide me instructions and a part list, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, on a side note....... I have a smallish sized folding table in my basement with a resin top. Could I use this as a grooming table? I also have an old rubbery exercise mat that I could cut to fit the table to make a table mat. The only thing I would need to get is a grooming arm....do you think that it would clamp securely on a table like that? I would estimate that the table top is about 2" thick.

Thanks so much everyone!! I really appreciate having a place to come to and ask all of my spoo-related questions!! :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would send Cameo a PM...I know she made her own recirculating bathing system..you could try digging up the post about it...but i'm sure if you sent her a PM she could help you out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
hope this helps, but feel free to send me a PM if you have any ?'s BTW, this thing works GREAT and I use it daily at my salon. Been using it for nearly two years!

http://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/7197-attn-groomers-i-need-help-border-collie-shave-down-5.html#post92262

Guess I should add, you CAN use this in a regular bathtub. Just run a couple of inches of water in the tub, add your undiluted shampoo (couple of tablespoons, depending on dilution rate) and go to town. Once the dog is completely wet, you may notice a drop in water pressure, that means the water level in the tub is a bit low, so just add a bit more water. Also, you don't have to prewet the dog and rinsing is WAY quicker and easier because you are using A LOT less shampoo.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cameo-Thanks so much for the link! My husband showed me a pump that we already have in the garage, that he thinks is what I need. It is an extra pool cover pump, that looks pretty much exactly like what I need. It has a stabilizing pad type thing on it, but it comes off. Do you think this will work?

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
make sure it's submersible! In other words, that it can sit UNDER water at any depth, not just for an inch or two and make sure you use a GFCI outlet to plug it into before using it with your dog.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder ...

Cameo-Thanks so much for the link! My husband showed me a pump that we already have in the garage, that he thinks is what I need. It is an extra pool cover pump, that looks pretty much exactly like what I need. It has a stabilizing pad type thing on it, but it comes off. Do you think this will work?
Great idea and thanks for prompting my thoughts! We have a swimming pool pump in the garage too, but it is one that has an "inlet" and an "outlet" for water which would mean the pump itself doesn't have to be in the tub, it would just sit next to the tub (which makes my hubby happier). I wonder if this would work?

What issues/concerns should we think about?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Overthetop,

Those pumps will work, but you have to have an ENORMOUS amount of water in the vessel that the pump is sitting in or it will pump that water out in seconds and you'll be out of water, UNLESS you pump it back into the vessel where you have the pump.

I use this unit daily and I have no fear of electrocution (if that is what you are afraid of). Of course, you must have it plugged into a GFIC outlet, which will trip if there is any type of power surge or malfunction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Overthetop,

Those pumps will work, but you have to have an ENORMOUS amount of water in the vessel that the pump is sitting in or it will pump that water out in seconds and you'll be out of water, UNLESS you pump it back into the vessel where you have the pump.

I use this unit daily and I have no fear of electrocution (if that is what you are afraid of). Of course, you must have it plugged into a GFIC outlet, which will trip if there is any type of power surge or malfunction.
I think I'm confused ... I envision a hose going from the bathtub into the swimming pool pump and a hose going from the pump to the tub for us to use on the dog. Doesn't it just recirculate the same water? Or ... is it because the pump holds so much water inside of it that we would need more to start with?

·
Registered
575 Posts
yes, if you have a hose from the tub to the pump and then back into the tub, that would work :)

I was thinking you would have it in ANOTHER container, but your way would work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts