Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a dog get high or act starnge from nail polish and/or the remover

I like to paint Ruby's nails and since she doesn't ever chew her nails and I cannot find a dog polish in Canada I have just been using the drug store type remover and polish. Which I thought woudl be fine since she doesn't chew her nails or her feet.

The first time I did it, she was fine, nothing strange...the 2nd time she needed to pee every few mins or so after we were done for about 3 hrs....the 3rd time, same thing but only for about an hr....yesterday no problems at all.

So I wonder if the smell is making her need to pee intensify?....yesterday I did them with the window open, the other times it was closed....

What is the difference between dog polish and remover compared to the human kind? I did find a bottle of dog polish, but the lable said it had never been tested on animals which I thought was strange since it was FOR animals lol, but it was almost $30 a bottle.

What do you guys use?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't think there is much difference between dog polish and human polish. In fact I think the polish sold by petedge is made by.... darn I can't think of the name, but they sell polishes to nail salons and such. It does smell about the same. I'm not sure that a "high" poodle would need to pee more than normal but I don't really know. I use dog polish on my girls when I can but find that I get better coverage and faster results with human polish. I will also add that I use dog polish on my nails pretty frequently lol, though it takes more coats for coverage. I like to match the girls when I can, so I use the same polish if that happens to be color paw then so be it, if it's something else...well thats fine too :)

I'd say do your polish in an area with good air flow to avoid the fumes if you're worried about it. I usualy do have a small fan near my table when I do it at work. At home I park it on the kitchen floor and so far no problems.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
What brands/ types are you using? I use human nail polish on my Maltese w/ no problems. I usually just let it wear off or grow out, so I don't use nail polish remover. I use the better quality nail polishes b/c they don't require very many coats. OPI, China Glaze and Orly are my favorites. Maybe you could try a remover w/o acetone.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Breathing those fumes....

Breathing those fumes can't be good for either of you. I just can't imagine a dog with painted toenails, either... ew...:mmph:

·
Registered
37 Posts
They do make a nailpolish for dogs, It's called pawlish. It is not as strong smelling as human nailpolish and easier to get off. As for the fumes, it can't be good, but the doggy polish is not nearly as strong.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How do I start my own thread or my own post page?
When you go into each section like poodle talk or grooming at the top left of the list of topics there is a "new thread" key you just press that and you are off and running! Good Luck, hope I was able to explain it well enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts