Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We recently bought a brown and white standard parti puppy, she is 10 weeks old. I've noticed that her brown spots are much shorter and more course than her white hair. Is that normal? Also, since her top knot is brown it's still very short. I've had poodles my whole life but never a brown and white. Just curious, is my puppy broke? 馃榾

Super Moderator
Hello! We recently bought a brown and white standard parti puppy, she is 10 weeks old. I've noticed that her brown spots are much shorter and more course than her white hair. Is that normal? Also, since her top knot is brown it's still very short. I've had poodles my whole life but never a brown and white. Just curious, is my puppy broke? 馃榾
My parti boys had different hair textures on their dark and white patches. It also seemed the transition zones were especially prone to matting.

Registered
The reason the poodle breed standard states that poodles are to be a solid color is because different colored hair has different textures. The idea was to have a coat of uniform color and texture.

Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
The reason the poodle breed standard states that poodles are to be a solid color is because different colored hair has different textures. The idea was to have a coat of uniform color and texture.
An old thread on this topic suggested it was actually to distinguish the breed from spaniels. Would be interesting to learn more on this topic, but I鈥檓 guessing the history is a little spotty. (No pun intended, I swear. Lol.)

Premium Member
My black and white spoo had a brown and white sire. The breeder kept a brown and white puppy who had tight brown curly spots contrasting with soft fluffy white areas. My puppy鈥檚 coat was pretty even all over. Now that the breeder鈥檚 puppy has come into his adult coat, he鈥檚 evened out as well. It was a surprise to the breeder, though, as they鈥檇 gotten both parents as puppies, and neither had that difference in coat texture per color. Enjoy your puppy!

Super Moderator
Did the outgrow with their coat change?
The hair grew at the same rate after coat change. The texture in different areas was similar but not the same. Where I noticed the matting the worst was on the back of Snarky's head. He had a thin white streak, like a lightning bolt, running up the back of his neck. This streak always matted. As for the rest of the dog, well, my boys led a pretty rough and tumble life. Life is too short to spend a weekend pulling burdock out of two poodle coats. They got buzz cuts every summer. Losing the fluff wasn't as sad as we expected; their coats felt like crushed velvet when they came home from the groomer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts