Poodle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I second what Poodlemana said. I had one litter of pups, not poodles though, and there was one who was significantly smaller than the rest. While he was the first one born, he was the last at everything else. He probably does need some one-on-one time with mama to get some extra nutrition. The "runts" tend to mature more slowly than their siblings and just take longer to get active, show great curiosity, play with the others. And I agree you should express your concern to the breeder also. Being a first time breeder she just may not know about this. Someone had to help me with my little one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
She is very cute but considerably smaller and thinner than the other puppies. Sometimes the smaller pups will be pushed off the teat by bigger puppies. As a first timer, her breeder may not have noticed. She may need the breeder to put her on the teat several times a day and keep the bigger puppies from pushing her off until she has had her fill. Do you know if the breeder is weighing the pups? I used to weigh twice a day for the first 4 weeks to be sure they were getting enough. I would switch to once a day after that. Easy to notice if a pup was not growing steadily.
This is a really good observation. I’m not sure if she weighs them often. I can definitely ask her. This pup was the tiniest that came out. Even still I think she should be bigger than what she is. So I think you’re on to something; she may be getting pushed off the teat. Based on last week’s pic it does seem that she’s gotten a bit bigger. What do you think? This is exactly one week ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I second what Poodlemana said. I had one litter of pups, not poodles though, and there was one who was significantly smaller than the rest. While he was the first one born, he was the last at everything else. He probably does need some one-on-one time with mama to get some extra nutrition. The "runts" tend to mature more slowly than their siblings and just take longer to get active, show great curiosity, play with the others. And I agree you should express your concern to the breeder also. Being a first time breeder she just may not know about this. Someone had to help me with my little one.
Thanks for this!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing them side-by-side. It is important, especially with small puppies, to track the weight at least once a day. If they are not gaining every time they are weighed, the breeder needs to step in and help. Sometimes puppies just fail to thrive and begin to fade. The breeder can't help if she doesn't know that the pup isn't steadily gaining weight. Your baby looked almost half the size of the other puppies and much thinner. I think she needs help competing with all the bruisers. It would also be interesting to see if the mom pushes her away. Sometimes they will do that with weaker puppies. Again, breeder needs to intervene and put puppy on the teat and stay with her until she is finished eating. She needs to do this several times a day...like every 2-3 hours. Don't be pressured into committing to this puppy until you know she is healthy and gaining weight. Hard to say no to those cute puppy faces but it could save you a lot of heartache and expense. Remember, you're going to have this dog for many years. Sometimes it's best to be patient and wait for the right puppy...even if it takes awhile. Also, in my opinion, personality and temperament are much more important than color. Try to relax about color a bit and focus on finding a healthy, mentally sound puppy to be your companion.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Don't be pressured into committing to this puppy until you know she is healthy and gaining weight. Hard to say no to those cute puppy faces but it could save you a lot of heartache and expense. Remember, you're going to have this dog for many years. Sometimes it's best to be patient and wait for the right puppy...even if it takes awhile. Also, in my opinion, personality and temperament are much more important than color. Try to relax about color a bit and focus on finding a healthy, mentally sound puppy to be your companion.
Agree with all of this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hard to tell without seeing them side-by-side. It is important, especially with small puppies, to track the weight at least once a day. If they are not gaining every time they are weighed, the breeder needs to step in and help. Sometimes puppies just fail to thrive and begin to fade. The breeder can't help if she doesn't know that the pup isn't steadily gaining weight. Your baby looked almost half the size of the other puppies and much thinner. I think she needs help competing with all the bruisers. It would also be interesting to see if the mom pushes her away. Sometimes they will do that with weaker puppies. Again, breeder needs to intervene and put puppy on the teat and stay with her until she is finished eating. She needs to do this several times a day...like every 2-3 hours. Don't be pressured into committing to this puppy until you know she is healthy and gaining weight. Hard to say no to those cute puppy faces but it could save you a lot of heartache and expense. Remember, you're going to have this dog for many years. Sometimes it's best to be patient and wait for the right puppy...even if it takes awhile. Also, in my opinion, personality and temperament are much more important than color. Try to relax about color a bit and focus on finding a healthy, mentally sound puppy to be your companion.
Thanks so much! I talked to the breeder this morning and she confirmed she is already taking measures, so that is reassuring. My girl was born 1/2 the size of her litter mates so she began to take measures right away. I’ll post a pic of the pups huddled together when they were about 4-5 days old with my teeny one circled. I’ll continue to monitor her progress. Thanks so much for your help!!! I really appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
It can be hard to tell from just one short video, and if filmed another time the picture could be totally different, but this puppy definitely does look less active and interactive than the rest of the litter. You should also ask if the breeder is doing daily exercises/socialization with them in a program such as puppy culture, Avidog, etc. I would make sure your pup is thoroughly cleared by the breeder's vet before coming home to you and that you also have a very thorough exam done by your vet when you get her home. While sometimes a puppy is just born a lot smaller than littermates and there are no medical reasons, there are also health-related issues that can cause stunted growth or failure to thrive in puppies, for example, a liver shunt. I am in no way suggesting your puppy has something like this, but the fact that the pup is still so much smaller and doesn't seem to be catching up is something you want to keep an eye on. I would also be concerned that the breeder has decided this pup is the one for you (taking the size/development issue out of the equation) just because you want that color. Responsible breeders normally don't select a puppy for the new owners until temperament and other testing has been done at around 7 weeks. My color preference with both my girls was for black, but when the litters were evaluated for structure and temperament, both times the ones best suited to me (I am heavily involved in training and showing in performance - agility, obedience, rally, etc.) were blue, as there were both blue and black bitches in the litters each time. So that is what I took each time and have never been sorry.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
At this point I would not be concerned at all about interaction between puppies (other than being consistently pushed away from nursing by bigger pups). There is very little interaction between littermates until they are much older.

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
I would continue to monitor how the puppy is growing. Some puppies start out a little behind but catch up later. Others have a health problem retarding their growth. It sounds like your breeder is watching the situation. I would be concerned if a puppy is still significantly less energetic and assertive than the rest of the litter after 4 weeks or so. With Pogo and Snarky our breeder posted videos regularly; I could see that Snarky, though smaller, was playing as vigorously as the rest. Before I got Galen I was able to visit and see that he, although smaller than the rest, was holding his own.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with Poodlemana and Eclipse above.

When looking for my puppy eleven years ago I wanted a silver or grey female, and definitely did not want a male, or white or cream because it would be too hard to keep them clean. But I was convinced by knowing poodle owners and trainers to drop all desires except to find the healthiest puppy with the best temperament I could find. It took me 9 months of testing puppies, checking out the health back three generations, meeting the parents and grandparents, etc to finally choose a puppy.

And of all things it turned out to be a creamy white male! I was so shocked I almost said no, but am so glad I went with him. He is the most awesome dog I have ever had, and the only time I have regretted it is when he jumped in a boggy puddle of black goo once:) He is also my service dog and is exceptional. I have seen some of the other dogs as adults that I decided against (very hard to do with an adorable puppy) and am so very glad I did not choose them!

I too keep admiring the reds, but if I get another dog it will definitely be a poodle, and i will do it the same way! Who knows what he or she might look like? If you really want to use this breeder rather than one with more experience, I would choose the healthiest pup with the best temperament. Crossing my fingers for you!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts