Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko will throw tantrums sometimes when I put him in his kennel. I thought he grew out of it, but he is going a bit crazy. He has always been (what seems to be a brat) I'm not sure what to call it really. He doesn't like to be held still anymore, if I try to he'll move away (maybe I need to train him for it again?) He has gotten better at being touched on his sides (he used to try and mouth when we did it)

He can be so silly to the point of not seeming intelligent. I'm not trying to bash Sisko or anything, but I do question him sometimes. He can seen rather odd at times for a Poodle. I know every dog is different, but still.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I still have doubts, worries, and insecurities about Sisko. I know we've come a long way since October, so I need to be more patient too. But still馃槬I have my insecurities 馃槗

Registered
I would say quite normal, especially in these upset and muddling times. Try treating each thing you don't like, or find worrying, as a training issue. What is the trigger for the behaviour? How can it be avoided or turned into something pleasant? How can the response you want be broken into tiny steps, and then gradually built back up into the full chain? And don't forget to keep reward very frequently while training. And don't forget that routine is your friend - stick to the familiar cycle of meals, exercise, training and rest as much as you can so he knows what to expect and feels some control.

Meanwhile remember that when you feel insecure so will he - I have to really watch my anxiety or Sophy can become a quivering wreck and often start with stress diarrhoea. Read back over your early posts, focus on the things that have improved, and remind yourself that you and Sisko are on a journey, and will get there together.

Super Moderator
By kennel do you mean a pen or crate? Either way, maybe time to get back to basics and re-teach him to enter on his own and settle right down with a chew or handful of special treats he only gets in there (always being mindful to exercise his mind and body first).

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I would say quite normal, especially in these upset and muddling times. Try treating each thing you don't like, or find worrying, as a training issue. What is the trigger for the behaviour? How can it be avoided or turned into something pleasant? How can the response you want be broken into tiny steps, and then gradually built back up into the full chain? And don't forget to keep reward very frequently while training. And don't forget that routine is your friend - stick to the familiar cycle of meals, exercise, training and rest as much as you can so he knows what to expect and feels some control.

Meanwhile remember that when you feel insecure so will he - I have to really watch my anxiety or Sophy can become a quivering wreck and often start with stress diarrhoea. Read back over your early posts, focus on the things that have improved, and remind yourself that you and Sisko are on a journey, and will get there together.
fjm, I could hug you馃槶!! Thank you, so much! I will. Ever since we started playing ItsYerChoice something really clicked in me and I started to break somethings but not all into tiny steps, but now I'll break everything down into tiny steps. As I type this, Sisko is laying down in the living room instead of being here in the bedroom while we were eating.

Okay, I will remember to watch my anxiety as well. Sisko gets anxious when I'm anxious. Do you think it's because they're Poodles that they can feel our anxiety so well? I was very used to a dog comforting me when I was anxious.

Sisko just came in and calmly laid down 馃槍

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
By kennel do you mean a pen or crate? Either way, maybe time to get back to basics and re-teach him to enter on his own and settle right down with a chew or handful of special treats he only gets in there (always being mindful to exercise his mind and body first).
It was his crate. Okay, thank you!!! I think so too. I'm probably going to make some cheese treats for him tomorrow, so I can try them馃檪!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts