Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a goldendoodle(gasp, I know) and she is a MESS!! She will eat dog poo(which I know some dogs do), but she will stand there sniffing the other dogs butt and wait for FRESH poop to fall and eat!! She is 8 months old. She is also not potty trained yet!! My sister is not ready to give up on her yet, but she is at her wits end!! She does other typical puppy things too like chew up shoes, furniture etc. HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I found this info on an old book I had about dog behavioral problems. Hope this helps:

Some Theories to Why Dogs Eat Poop
* A dog that eats poop trying to supplement his nutritionally-deficient diet. He chooses to eat the poop of other animals (usually dogs and cats) because he is not getting enough vitamins from the food he is given in his own home, hoping that there may be some residual nutrition available for him to sponge up the second time around.

* Nursing female dogs eat the poop of their puppies as a means hiding the existence of her pups from potential predators and of keeping the den area clean. It's thought by some that one of the reasons that coprophagia is so commonplace in puppies, especially, is because they're mimicking the behavior of their mother.

* Poop eating may be related to boredom or stress. According this theory, bored or stressed dogs - such as those that spend too much time on their own, those that lead under stimulated, under exercised lives, and those that are excluded from family life and adequate human attention and affection - often suc***b to strange and compulsive habits, like spinning in circles for hours on end, pulling out their own fur and (theoretically, at least) poop eating. In other words, a dog will eat poop simply because there's nothing else to occupy his time.

* Internal parasites, such as worms, may be depleting nutrients and calories from the dog's stomach and digestive tract. Typically, a dog with worms will have a voracious appetite (even more so than normal!) and will consume all the food that he can get. In more advanced cases, an infested dog will turn to technically-edible substances (such as poop), which he would not normally consider appetizing, to tame his hunger.

* Improperly housetrained dogs (especially those whose owners tend to punish them for housetraining mistakes) sometimes eat their own poop in an attempt to conceal the "crime" from their owners and avoid detection. A dog that's pooping inappropriately indoors either has not been housetrained properly, in which case the accidents are not his fault; or possibly has a medical condition that needs attention. To rule the latter out, the dog should be taken for a check-up at the vet (particularly if the indoor defecation has started suddenly and without warning).

Some Possible Deterrents
Although it's probably impossible to "cure" a dog with a taste for poop of this rather disgusting habit, there are some things you can do to try to minimize the behavior:

* Clean up the poop in your own backyard as soon as the dog deficates. If there is no poop around he can't eat it - and it'll save you from dealing with the flies, the odor, and the probability of you or someone else stepping in it.

* Teach your dog the "leave it" command. This is a useful command when walking your dog off-lead. Reliable obedience in the "leave it" makes off-lead walks a real pleasure. The usefulness of "leave it" applies to many things like herbicide, trash, and broken glass as well as poop!

* There are substances which, when put into the dog's food (or the food of the household pet whose poop he's eating) makes the poop smell and taste very unappealing. These products can be obtained at pet stores and veterinarians.

* There are also some natural substances that can be added to your dogs food - such as a few tablespoonfuls of canned pumpkin or pineapple, or fresh grated zucchini. Evidence suggests that most dogs will readily eat these substances, but that their presence in poop makes it unpalatable.

*You can try spiking the poop in the backyard with things like Tabasco sauce and lemon juice, but this may be a great deal of trouble to go to when you could just clean up the poop. Reports of success from this technique are pretty erratic, and who really wants to handle the turds more than necessary - in most cases, it seems that a dog intent on coprophagy isn't going to be stopped by a brief burning sensation in his mouth.

*Some have found that when they tried some of the additions to the poop or to the dogs food, that the dog actually enjoyed the poop even more. So they stopped the additives and realized the dog left the poop alone.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Hey they had this on that TV show It's me or the Dog not that long ago. I wasnt really paying attention so I can't tell you what she did about it. I do remember thinking to myself as I watched, Ahhh thats a good idea at a couple of points in the show. I think I have that somewhere on the DVR maybe I'll re-watch it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey they had this on that TV show It's me or the Dog not that long ago. I wasnt really paying attention so I can't tell you what she did about it. I do remember thinking to myself as I watched, Ahhh thats a good idea at a couple of points in the show. I think I have that somewhere on the DVR maybe I'll re-watch it.
oh, yes re-watch for me and let me know if you have any good info to relay!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The Victoria lady from "Its me or the dog" did a flagging method. She made the owner's teach the dog to stay away from these mini flags and then they flagged the poop piles. Yes.... it was just as ridiculous as it sounds. After that, my husband and I have banned that show from our T.V.

No offence to Victoria fans.... good gosh! lol

If your sister stay's right on picking up waste and teach's her dog the words "leave it" that alone should work. Eventually they will lose interest or just grow out of it. My Rat Terrier Mya would do that except she would try to catch it before it even hit the ground. Yes......disgusting!!!! I just had to babysit her when she went to potty and picked up the waste as it happened. After just a few weeks of staying on her it was resolved.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Victoria lady from "Its me or the dog" did a flagging method. She made the owner's teach the dog to stay away from these mini flags and then they flagged the poop piles. Yes.... it was just as ridiculous as it sounds. After that, my husband and I have banned that show from our T.V.

No offence to Victoria fans.... good gosh! lol

If your sister stay's right on picking up waste and teach's her dog the words "leave it" that alone should work. Eventually they will lose interest or just grow out of it. My Rat Terrier Mya would do that except she would try to catch it before it even hit the ground. Yes......disgusting!!!! I just had to babysit her when she went to potty and picked up the waste as it happened. After just a few weeks of staying on her it was resolved.

That is exactly what I had told her. That or there is something you can give your dog to eat which make the poop taste horrible.

Too funny with the Victoria comment!! lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
ugh! why are they sooo disgusting! Cassie seems to have stopped since Susie caught her in the act and repremanded her (as she washed out her mouth gagging lol) I usually keep the yard clean but since my surgery I have not been out there - can't wait until I can clean it up!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Bitter apple worked on all my dogs...except Gunther.
He took a lick,made a face and his urge to keep up with the forbidden fruit won.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Tabasco sauce is what we put on bark for moose he stopped quick.

He still will eat other animals poop but luckily that's not often...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sounds like she needs a crate and a leash. If she is out of the crate she is tied to your sisters belt. Housebreaking is easier when dog is 5 ft from you. Eating poop can't happen if it isn't sitting on ground and the dog doing the eating is on a leash beside you.
I had a hard time training casey. BUTT every accident was my fault giving him freedom.Good luck to your sister.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts