Poodle Forum banner

Is this exercise regimen for a standard enough?

977 6
So, hello, all! This is my first post here and I actually don’t own a poodle. For my next dog, which won’t be for years anyways, I was contemplating a Spoo. I’ve been reading a ton about them and I think both their temperament and activity level fits into my lifestyle. I’m also aware they are higher energy dogs, but not like husky or GSD level energetic. Most websites and people who own them say about 1-1.5 hours (+ mental stimulation) would be enough. Of course I’d get a show line dog.

But the exercise regimen would be 20-40 minute walk once daily + several shorter ones + 30-60 minutes of yard time (depending on how long the major walk was) + mental enrichment (pet stores, dog friendly stores, snuffle mats, puzzle toys, etc).

And to clarify, this would be for a fully grown poodle. Obviously I wouldn’t exercise a puppy to this extent, as that could harm their growing joints.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
For Peggy the key is a good chance to sprint every few days, and lots of mental enrichment, which includes multiple short daily training session (indoors and out), and also visiting cafés, going on gentle hikes, playing fetch on the beach, etc. She pretty much just lives life with us and that keeps her happy and stimulated. Even just watching movies on the couch is a fun activity for her, providing she’s had a chance to really stretch those spoo muscles with a good run (with us engaging her) in the yard.

As for walks, we find the best way to maximize the benefits is a loose leash and lots of opportunities to sniff. Walking on a short leash at a human pace wouldn’t do a whole lot for her. Might even leave her frustrated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For Peggy the key is a good chance to sprint every few days, and lots of mental enrichment, which includes multiple short daily training session (indoors and out), and also visiting cafés, going on gentle hikes, playing fetch on the beach, etc. She pretty much just lives life with us and that keeps her happy and stimulated. Even just watching movies on the couch is a fun activity for her, providing she’s had a chance to really stretch those spoo muscles with a good run (with us engaging her) in the yard.

As for walks, we find the best way to maximize the benefits is a loose leash and lots of opportunities to sniff. Walking on a short leash at a human pace wouldn’t do a whole lot for her. Might even leave her frustrated.
Yeah so I should have specified- not just standing in the backyard lol. I meant letting her zoom around, romp around with my other dog, play fetch (poodles love that since they were bred to retrieve game), or even a backyard agility course (saw those on Amazon). I’ve also heard they love to chase and be chased around the yard lol.

I also like to walk faster, so I finish my one longer walk in 40 minutes (sometimes more) but with a dog I’m aware that might be longer.. but if poodles are comfortable fast walking/trotting, then that’s even better!

There’s also “brain game” classes at my local pet store, which seems like it would be fun to attend with a smart dog!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sounds like it could work, though, as always, you'll have to adjust for the dog in front of you. Annie loves fast paced walking - I walk fast but never fast enough for her taste - she rarely stops to sniff, just nose down sniffing at a trot! I'll note that she is more energetic and athletic than most German shepherds that I know. If she plays with a GSD at the park, she has it panting and tired and lying down and then looks for her next play partner!

Annie needs 2 sessions of offleash running a week, minimum, to be truly happy. More is better. Exercise in a yard isn't usually enough, though she does get mental stimulation from hanging out outside. Probably depends on the yard size. Fetch is okay but doesn't really scratch that itch, self directed free off leash time (or long line time when she wasn't trustworthy off leash) where she can sniff the sniffs and chase the chipmunks is better. She also loves training class once a week. I hadn't intended to do that, but taking Rally class or another sport class once per week really seems to make her more content.

Annie's schedule is generally some training sprinkled through the day, plus 45 min-1 hr of running (dog park or an offleash hike), plus a 30 min walk, and maybe a few shorter walks. I can switch the running for a trip to an interesting place (visiting a relative, a training class, going to a store or walking downtown, etc) or even some longer leashed walks (a 10' leash helps) but she gets antsy if she doesn't get a chance to really stretch her legs at least twice a week. She also spends a fair amount of time on our fenced porch where she can watch the world. On lower energy days, I give her food puzzles.

When I lived in an apartment and didn't have a good offleash park or place to hike offleash/long leash, she got about 2 hours of walking per day and it really wasn't close to enough, tiring out a dog on a leash is hard to do. She'd drive me nuts until I could go somewhere to let her really run.

To get her truly, physically tired without mental work? When I visit my dad she is offleash on his 100 acres all day, and runs 4-6 hours a day, and would like to keep going. I imagine she would quickly build even more stamina. Similar if I go camping with her. A mix of mental work and physical work is key to having a dog you can live with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.