Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - we are considering getting this puppy home. Can anyone tell if
a) he is an Apricot?? I am attaching a picture of what I was looking for (the picture of the older dog)
b) If he will fade or grow darker??

A few things:
  • He was born with black nose and lips
  • He is the darkest puppy in the litter (in the pictures)
Pedigree:
  • Sire (Apricot)
    • Red
      • Apricot
        • Apricot
        • Apricot
      • Red
        • Apricot
        • Red
    • White
      • Cream
        • White
        • Black
      • White
        • White
        • White
  • Dam (Cream)
    • Black
      • Black
        • White
        • Black
      • ?
        • ?
        • ?
    • Cream
      • Black
        • Black
        • Cream
      • Cream
        • Black
        • Blue
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I just posted this info for another member. They might help answer your questions.

Red is thought to be a fading gene so most will fade to some degree. There's a lot of good color info in the links below, very much worth looking thru.

Source: ARPEGGIO POODLES
POODLE COAT COLORS: RED, APRICOT & CREAM
COLOR BREEDING IN POODLES

APRICOT

Is a dilute of red. It carries the fading gene. Apricots can be as light as to look cream but should have more of a red cast to them than the creams do. Some apricots can be almost burnt umber in color or orangey. Apricots should have black points. Liver points are acceptable but not preferred.

View attachment 468102

RED

Can be as light as to be almost apricot to a dark mahogany color. It is commonly thought to be a fading color, meaning it carries the fading gene also. Red should have black points. Liver points are acceptable but not prefered.

View attachment 468103

RED/APRICOT

Is a combination of red and apricot on a solid colored puppy. This is a puppy that is usually lighter than red and has highlights of apricot or apricot tipping. Almost a swirling combination of red and apricot.

View attachment 468104

Reactions: Tierna

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I'd lean more toward cream but I couldn't say for sure. Fading is possible or he may hold that color. Darkening isn't likely but might be possible.

To my eye, when a pup is red or apricot, I pick up a hint of pink in the coloring. It's hard to describe, more in my mind than in my vision. I see the creams as having more of an orange or yellow hint.

My girls were a light red and they faded as they got older. I got them when they were almost 2y so I don't have puppy pictures.

My one boy was quite orange and has faded to cream, which I love. I think he looks like sunshine now :).

My girls Noel and Holly 1y 10m

My girls 15y 3m

My boy Remo 8w a few days

2y 11.5m

I love the reds, having had apricots and light reds. I've also had blacks. They're usually so elegant looking.
I wanted a different color for my last search so I was looking for silvers or browns.
Naturally, I ended up with a black who's possibly going blue and a cream who's turning to sunshine :).

Reactions: Tierna

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
80 Posts
I tend to agree with Rose n Poos, to me he looks like he will be a cream color. My boy Beau actually fooled his breeder at first he was so dark that she thought he was apricot, but by the time he was 3 months he was already fading. He is now almost 9 months old and has faded out to a pretty cream. I can't find the "baby" pics that his breeder sent me, they really showed how dark colored he was when he was little(r).

Beau at about 4 months old

After his first visit to the groomer at about 4 1/2 months

Beau now

Good luck with your new baby. :)

Reactions: Rose n Poos
1 - 7 of 7 Posts