Poodle Forum banner

Is this a purebred poodle?

9K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  Lily's Mom 
#1 ·
Trying to determine if this a purebred poodle or doddle mix.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Fawn
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

See less See more
#4 ·
It can be difficult to distinguish between a 75% poodle cross and a poodle, especially if the 100% poodle comes from a less reputable breeder. Regardless of whether the dog in the photo is 100% poodle, there appear to be significant deviations from the breed standard that suggest lower quality breeding. Do you have photos of the dog stacked? How old is he? Are you considering buying him?

#6 ·
No reputable breeder after spending time and money to improve their breed would mix its well bred dog with another breed.
So the result is neither parent is the best representative of its breed.
The adult dog could be a mix or a poodle with poor conformation.

#7 ·
Twyla beat me to it. I've known some doodles with lovely personalities, but a recurring problem with breeders who breed crosses is that they tend to use lower quality dogs as breeding stock. If he's 100% poodle, he has poor structure, and I would have serious concerns about his health history. Health in dogs is a crapshoot anyway; why play with dice loaded against you?

#9 · (Edited)
In my amature poodle owner mind, my gut tells me it's not a purebred poodle.

That dog looks really stocky.

If whoever was trying to prove it's a pure bred poodle, you would out some effort into a poodle trim.

Also, I don't think the baby picture gives us any clues either since a lot of baby fluff looks the very similar across light red/apricot poodle and golden doodle mix puppies - very straight.

The whole situation just sounds like a red flag.

Puppy Basil being a naughty girl:
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Water dog

A pure bred standard poodle:
Plant Grass Sports Event Sunglasses

#10 ·
I agree it is hard to say. If it is poodle it is a very poor example of the breed. But normal for what doodle breeders use. They tend to just use whatever they can get ahold of for cheap. If this breeder is even halfway ethical they should have health testing complete including orthopedic screens on OFA and be able to show you a pedigree for the sire.

#11 ·
If that dog is a purebred poodle, he's structurally a very poor example of the breed. Very stocky and something seems off about his backend. It might be the angle but he also seems short legged for his torso even accounting for his heavier build. Reminds me of a cocker mix tbh. But poorly bred dogs can go far afield of the standard.

#12 ·
I agree if it’s a pure bred poodle, it’s poorly bred. The flews, poodles don’t have flews hanging down like that.

My concern would be those back legs. They appear to be cow hocked. It could be the angle of the photo, but I think it’s real. If you look at that dogs legs they appear to be bending outward. Notice the hind paws are both sticking out. Poodles legs are straight, the paws are straight ahead.

Cow hock could have implications for hip dysplasia or luxating patellas for example.

Do you have the option to get out of that contract? I mention this because you can probably find a well bred poodle pup from a quality breeder who does all the recommended testing, shows their dog in conformation or dog sports etc. You might pay less and you can groom a poodle to look exactly like a doodle.

#13 ·
Do you have the option to get out of that contract?
I actually purchased a hybrid goldendoodle puppy, but I can definitely back out. The reason why I posted those pics was because the breeder is claiming it's a poodle. I'm concerned if it's a mix, the puppy would be an F2 and not an F1B. F1B dog is a much better option for allergy sufferers.

#14 · (Edited)
Any doodle is a mix, which means there is no guarantee at all of being hypoallergenic, people can be allergic to poodles
Hypo=low not no allergies
Also hybrid is a an offspring of two different species not two different breeds within a species
Dog + coyote= coydog
Coyote + wolf = coywolf
Grizzly bear + Polar bear= Grolar Bear
"Hybrid" dogs like designer dogs is a marketing ploy

#16 ·
If you really want the best dog for allergies, a poodle would be a much better option. Lowest shedding, low dander, low salivating. A mix is going to be a gamble on how allergy-friendly it is. And they tend to be rough on grooming because they mat more easily due to thick undercoat from the retriever genes. They take a lot of brushing and frequent grooming appointments. Doodle breeders are like used car salesmen.

#17 ·
A purebred poodle would be an even better bet for allergy sufferers. Just saying.

Throwing a Golden or Lab or anything else into the mix means there will ALWAYS be a BIGGER chance of allergies than if you're dealing with pure Poodle. That's just how it is, due to genetics and due to breeding practices.

You have no history on the stud dog, you said so yourself. HUGE red flag. Danger danger. Doodle arguments aside, if you have no history on one or both of the parent dogs you are taking a HUGE chance with any future pup's health and temperament. No history means no genetic testing means potential hip/joint problems, heart problems, and who knows what else.

I would not pay for a dog with no history, except an adoption fee from a legit rescue/shelter. I would definitely not give my $$ to a "breeder" who is using dogs with no history.

#18 ·
Hi and Welcome!

This is the testing that the official poodle breed club, Poodle Club of America recommends for any standard poodle that is intended to be bred. Poodles aren't "unhealthy" but each variety has some known health issues, not common, but can be life-altering if present. Standard poodles have additionally been affected by something known as the Midcentury bottleneck. This created a concentration of genes, good and not so good. Good breeders are working to remove the not so good, keep the good, and not add anything else not so good. This and much more are part of the investment those breeders put into their dogs.
Every pure breed will have comparable official breed clubs with recommended health testing for their respective breed.
Breeding without testing suggests a lack of interest in the future for either of the breeds being crossed.

• Hip Dysplasia (One of the following)
    OFA Evaluation
    PennHIP Evaluation
  • Eye Examination
    Eye Examination by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist
  • Health Elective (One of the following)
    OFA Thyroid evaluation from an approved laboratory
    OFA SA Evaluation from an approved dermapathologist
    Congenital Cardiac Exam
    Advanced Cardiac Exam
    Basic Cardiac Exam

Excerpts from the Poodle breed standard.
IllustratedStandard.pdf (poodleclubofthelehighvalley.com)

Structure affects how a dog moves and can indicate a possibility of eventual health issues.

Hair Horse Human body Gesture Working animal

Joint Hand Arm Shoulder White

If the breeder didn't provide proof of Canadian Kennel Club registry, whether the dog is well bred or not, then it will be hard to say whether this dog is purebred poodle without DNA testing.

#21 ·
From my limited poodle experience, the dog’s legs in the pictures you posted seem exactly like the Cockapoo that lives in our neighbourhood. There is also a ”first-generation” golden doodle in our neighbourhood who sheds like crazy, so beware as there is no guarantee of getting a non-shedding dog from a mix.

#22 ·
I have to agree with Twla and the others. The poodle is a poor representative of a Standard Poodle. Personally I don't like the look of how his hip protrude out, though it could just be a poor photo. There is a lot of hype with doodles , seems everyone wants a golden doodle and will pay a lot of money for them, then brag about how much poodle is in them. I happen to know someone who will tell me over and over how much their doodle looks like a poodle and that he is 80-90 % poodle. I say nothing but really if you want that get a well bred poodle who with the right grooming can have the same look as a doodle.( if thats what your after).

#23 ·
If someone else said this I'm sorry but I see cocker spaniel here? For some reasons my nerves and muscles cause pain if I scroll to much in one day. You all will get to know me. I looked at my babies parents and they are registered and appear to be full poodle to me> I'm no experent. I needed a hypoallergenic pet and just love poodles and the intelligence. I would have been happy with mix but careful so I'm one that surely could have been taken advantage of.

#27 ·
I’d agree that’s it’s either a mix or a poor breeder. My guy is a F1BB golden doodle, from breeder who does all the proper genetics tests on the parents. He looks more purebred than that guy. View attachment 483215
View attachment 483213
View attachment 483214
I agree, your dog does look more purebred lol

From all the comments, I'm pretty certain that the stud they are using is not a purebred. That being said, the puppies they are claiming are F!Bs are potentially F2s due to the stud potentially being a mix (doddle). It really does look like the breeder is potentially misrepresenting their dogs and people are not getting what they are paying for.

What started all this for me was the fact that the breeder decided to refund my deposit instead of providing documentation confirming that the dog was indeed a poodle They indicated that they could provide documentation but it was easier just to refund me. I could tell she was pretty offended.

#30 ·
I'm not sure if he's a mix- the grooming of his face might be part makes him look mixed, he maybe has a kind of moustache thing?
But I'm happy you got the refund, because I'm seeing evidence of saliva staining on his paws, which points to allergies; also he looks to have some significant orthopedic abnormalities in his hind legs. Both labs and goldens (among other breeds) can be prone to those, so that might indicated that he is mixed. More importantly, he does not look at all to be good or even decent stud quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.