Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our rescue took in two mini poodle puppies, but I'm not sure they're full poodle. They have short legs! Sorry I don't have better pictures. Do you think they're very poorly bred poodle or a mix of some sort?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,556 Posts
They could be a mix or like my Pia and Beatrice badly bred, the girls have shorter legs

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
They certainly look like poodles! I've seen the shorter legged ones on mini/toy poodle breedings............still purebred poodles but structure is a little wonky due to breeding two different sizes together! I think a DNA test could tell you.

Reactions: MerrysSarah

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Could be a mix breed, but they look like poodles! They are both super adorable! My Miracle was listed as a toy poodle through her rescue, but she has characteristics of possibly another breed . She has shorter legs and a longer back, but she definitely moves like a poodle (maybe a mini/toy mix). Hopefully their personality is more poodle if they are mixes!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I just remembered that I read somewhere about Miniatures having a genetic type of Dwarfism so I Googled it, and yes they do! It's called 'Osteochondrodysplasia' hence, the short legs!!! You can do a DNA test if you want to find out. No matter what, I still think they are pure poodle !!!

·
Super Moderator
3,368 Posts
I agree with others that they look like products of poor breeding strategies. Here's just a guess: Breeders 3+ generations ago used toys to breed for smaller poodles so they could label them as 'teacup' poodles, and as typical they erred by using shorter legged poodles. It didn't work; they got short but not small and well-proproportioned. Then some other breeder had the not to so bright idea to introduce mini-poodles to correct the short legs. That didn't work either. Instead the results were short-legged mini-poodles. As I said, that's just a guess, and could be a variation on that possibility - or not at all.

Piggybacking on Molly's comment about OCD also known as skeletal dwarfism. In the photo I can't see features other than short legs but you can better assess this in person.

"Osteochondrodysplasia is an inherited Musculoskeletal disease affecting dogs. Affected dogs typically present at about 3 weeks of age with stunted growth. Puppies often walk differently than unaffected littermates and stand with their feet turned out and hind legs splayed. Their legs are short and bent with enlarged joints and clubbed feet. They also have flatted rib cages and under bites, which can affect their ability to nurse and breathe. While affected dogs can survive for many years with supportive care, they will develop arthritis and will likely have breathing difficulty due to their deformed ribcages." (link)

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
They look like poodles to me, just poor breeding, I have well and bad breed poodles and loved they all the same. Out of 8 only have had a health problem with my Bella an eye disease. Most expensive poodle I ever owned. For 12 years her medication cost 100 per month, she is 16 and out of 3 she is the only one that plays with her toys, and by herself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts