Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Standard, Savannah, is five years old. At her best weight she was 42lbs. At that time she was eating EVO but I've moved since then and it's not available locally. Not to mention with the change in ownership of that company I'm not sure I'd be comfortable feeding it again. It's clear to me that she does best on grain free kibbles. With the other kibbles I've tried she just doesn't keep weight on.

I would like to feed her raw but at this point it's not possible for a few different reasons. I do however feed her raw a few days a week for the dental benefits. She's never had any problems with this. I don't mix raw and kibble meals. I was finally able to find a grain free food locally and purchased a bag of Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula. This is the plan I came up with for feeding her and I thought I'd run it past you all and see what you think.

Sunday - AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Monday - AM - 1 raw chicken quarter PM - 1 cup kibble
Tuesday -AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Wednesday - AM - 1 raw chicken quarter PM - 1 cup kibble
Thursday - AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Friday - AM - AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Saturday AM - 1 raw chicken quarter. PM - 1 cup kibble

Thanks in Advance,
Melissa

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sunday - AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Monday - AM - 1 raw chicken quarter PM - 1 cup kibble
Tuesday -AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Wednesday - AM - 1 raw chicken quarter PM - 1 cup kibble
Thursday - AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Friday - AM - AM - 1 1/2 cup kibble w/ 2 tbsp canned PM - 1 cup kibble
Saturday AM - 1 raw chicken quarter. PM - 1 cup kibble

Thanks in Advance,
Melissa
Honestly - I think if you are going to do raw more for the dental benefit do it once a week with a raw chicken quarter or a nice raw pork bone/rib. I wouldn't go through this meal plan on and off like you have it. PLUS it seems like too much food - I could be wrong. The normal daily intake for your dog on raw daily would be 2 - 3 % of its body weight. So if the quarters weigh more than one pound its already more then your dog should eat in a day. And then with a cup of kibble.......seems like a lot of food. If you want to do it this way - I would split the leg and thigh for seperate feedings.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes, it's more than a dog her size should be eating. But I am trying to get her to gain weight.
Raw will do it - I am trying to take some weight off of two of my dogs right now. Too bad you couldn't just go raw 100% - it's had great results for my dogs (accept their waistlines)

Go ahead and try it but I would still split the quarters:)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
From what I gather she is under 42 now. Height does make a difference. Do you know her ideal weight?

It's still too much food - determine cutting back the raw or kibble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts