Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it looks like my groomer took off more hair from the base of my pupper's tail when i took her in last week.

is there too much off? if not/ or if so how much should be clipped off?

i don't have a great pic, but this is an idea (and gratuitous pic of temperance, eva my lab x & my granddogter, junebug, who is a red nose pitt)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
She is very cute. It does look like there is a bit much shaved off at the base. From what I have read/heard, then general rule of thumb for a dog that size would be to shave only one blade width at the base of the tail.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am growing Mandy's out right now after my daughter ( a groomer) clipped it the same as your dogs. I like just the clipper witdth or not at all. I am at the point now I could clip down the puff and you wouldn't notice any more at all.
Doesn't take as long as you might think.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Its more of a lion trims tale, I think. The tail hair grows quicker then you think. Once you get an inch in width (where it was trimmed to high) I might just trim the remainder of the tail shorter a bit and allow the rest to grow and catch up so it looks more blended.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It does look like they took too much off. Perhaps you could go back and see if they can do a carrot tail for you and let it all grow back at once.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I see dozens of poodles who have those same tails. I swear the groomers all went to the same grooming school. If you like "retro" poodle grooms, then its OK but other than that, the current thinking is much different.

If you fold the dog's tail down close to the body, it gets shaved to the lowest point of the anus all around. It is also wrong to take the fur on the tail and "twist & cut". It DOES NOT make a quick and easy round tail ball. I don't know a single poodle groomer that believes that falacy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It does look a little bit TOO shaved to me :)

The general rule that I've been taught is 1/3, but if a tail is really long or really short, that would need to be adjusted slightly.

Cameo has a bunny tail :( and I can't shave her 1/3 or there will be hardly any hair, so I do 1/4 and just shave the "V" a little higher up. It helps tremedously in lengthing her tail (visually that is)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll have the groomer leave it alone and go the width of the clippers ... the last time she didn't do that much. i like more tail hair for sure.

i'm hoping to learn a bit about grooming so i can do some of it and not have to rely on others all the time.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, tail hair actually grows really quite fast I've found!!! I have had a few poodles who came to me with an obviously previously large 'stalk' shaved, but it truely doesn't take long to grow back, I wouldn't even worry about doing a 'carrot tail' or anything, just get it shaved properly next time, perhaps a little shorter pom to help compensate for the lil bit that will be 'in between' at the base of the pom/top of the 'stalk', but let it grow and by next the NEXT groom it'll be minimally noticable, if at all. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yes, to far up the tail I agree. I took Kiara into a groomer over the winter in NC because I did not have a way to bath her during the winter, she took WAY to much off the tail. Think is every cut it seemed to get bigger and bigger, like she was trying to "fix" her mistake from the groom before which only made it worse lol. Her tail is growing back now and I am hoping I can get a pom out of it now!:wacko:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
poor little poof and her silly tail.

i'm not going to go with a carrot tail ... but i'll work on getting it fixed up right.

i know hair grows, but gah, it's gonna take a while!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That would work fine..i would also buy a rubber mat or something to put on top so it makes a really nice no-skid surface. A dog that doesn't feel secure on a table will shake/wobble and it can really make grooming more difficult.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what kind of rubber mat? and do you think i need an arm attachment thing to hook her to?

·
Registered
924 Posts
You just need a rubber matt big enough for all of her feet that will stay in place....If you are using that sort of table where it wont probably be glued down you might try finding a mat used for restaurant kitchens you can cut to size...it should be heavy enough to stay put. I would say yes to the grooming arm.. i cant imagine grooming without one.. the only time i do is on the floor with the dog laying down. Hope this helps ;)

Sherry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts