Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln's ear hair is about... oh... maybe 2-3 inches longer than his ear leather. I have only *barely* trimmed them like.... 3? times since I got him at 4 months (and he will be 1 next month). He just has such long, beautiful ears. LOL

I find it funny too, as my toy poodle Tsuki who will also be 1 next month... I have also never more than slightly trimmed the edges for a more even look and hers are like... 1/2-1 inch past the leather.

***And on a semi-related note.... is there anything vitamin/supplement wise they could have to support hair growth as I'm trying to grow them out over the winter... thanks!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Lincoln's ear hair is about... oh... maybe 2-3 inches longer than his ear leather. I have only *barely* trimmed them like.... 3? times since I got him at 4 months (and he will be 1 next month). He just has such long, beautiful ears. LOL

I find it funny too, as my toy poodle Tsuki who will also be 1 next month... I have also never more than slightly trimmed the edges for a more even look and hers are like... 1/2-1 inch past the leather.

***And on a semi-related note.... is there anything vitamin/supplement wise they could have to support hair growth as I'm trying to grow them out over the winter... thanks!!
AS long as its not inside the ears, I wouldnt think so other then being in the way of eating and drinking. Maybe playing as well. I'm sure its cute, I guess just keeping them clean. I google everything!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm with Olie: as long as it's not IN the ears, and you keep it brushed and clean then it isn't a problem. :) Watch out for mats though. I hear they can be easy-to-miss when they are in ear hair. I always do a sort of line-comb thing through Desmond's ears just to prevent mats under the outer-layer of hair.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I love long pretty ears, though you wouldn't know it looking at either of my poodles. Both of their ears have been shaved and/or trimmed right up to the leather. So long as it's clean and not matted I don't see a problem with it.

As to growing hair you'll get a lot of opinions on that for various products you can give dogs to supposedly grow coat. I think Roxy had a recipe, but don't know if she ever tried it out. Something about garenteed to grow hair even on a door knob?? :) Jazz had a reeaaallly crummy coat when we adopted her last year, now it's pretty and grows quickly. Im of the personal opinion that the quality of your dog food has a great deal to do with the skin and coat. Jazz was eating pedigree I think it was when we got her. I switched her to the best food I could afford and had a reliable source for and put her on Solid Gold seameal supplement which contained prozyme. *shrugs* I can't say the supplement made her hair grow but grow it did, like crazy. When I took her off the supplement she lost a bit of weight but I can't say her hair growth was less. A long time ago I used a combonation of a product called Prozyme and a Biotin supplement both of which I ordered from Dr's foster and smith, I had great great show coats on several differnt breeds of dog. Im out of the seameal supplement now and don't plan to purchase more, I put both of the spoos on just Prozyme, (which is an enzyme supplement btw) so they get the most out of what they are eating.

I kind of think in Jazz's case anyway that the improved diet (with or without seameal) and the fact that Jazz was bathed weekly to keep her super clean had more to do with her improved coat and faster than expected hair growth than anything else I could have added to her food or put on her skin. At the time I was just using a tearless hypo shampoo and every other week a whitening shampoo for no reason in particular.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Halo dream coat actually does work wonders for growing coat on a dog, i know the recipe that's mentioned, it's on some breeders website but i have not tried it.

i do notice a difference when using dream coat though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts