Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have recently put a deposit down on a puppy. The puppy is now 3 weeks old and will be 4 weeks on Sunday. The breeder sends precious pics and videos of the puppy each week.. but I can’t help to notice his eyes. I googled it and I think his third eyelids are showing. Please look at the pics and tell me what you think. Also, the breeder does offer a health guarantee but if I can physically see something is wrong why would I continue the process? I haven’t said anything to the breeder because I want to wait it out until 5 weeks, just to see if it gets a little better.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The third eyelid is showing but I would not be really worried about it. The eyes just opened so it may go away. And for some dogs the third eyelid is just always visible. This can be more obvious in some colors of dog that make the third eyelid stand out more. From what I understand it isn't really an issue unless it is a new condition showing in a dog that didn't have the issue previously. Is it cosmetically preferred that it doesn't show? Probably. But I do not think it is necessarily evidence of any health issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The third eyelid is showing but I would not be really worried about it. The eyes just opened so it may go away. And for some dogs the third eyelid is just always visible. This can be more obvious in some colors of dog that make the third eyelid stand out more. From what I understand it isn't really an issue unless it is a new condition showing in a dog that didn't have the issue previously. Is it cosmetically preferred that it doesn't show? Probably. But I do not think it is necessarily evidence of any health issue.
Thank you! After googling, it really had me worried.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thank you! After googling, it really had me worried.
Check out photos of PeggyTheParti's eyes. One of her third eyelids is white so it shows very obviously and the other is dark so it is less obvious. This illustrates how color plays into it.

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
This is a picture of my boy Snarky when he was half asleep. He had very prominent third eyelids, resulting in a rather demonic appearance at times. Brown dogs also typically have hazel or amber eyes, adding to the weird look.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Thank you for sharing. She’s so cute. Do you know the cause of her third eyelids to show? Does it bother her ?
I’m guessing it’s genetic. Her sire’s third eyelids are also visible. He’s a brown parti.

Peggy did frequently have goopy eyes as a pup, but poodles are prone to allergies. Once we switched shampoos, the issue occurred less frequently and then eventually went away. It was never definitively diagnosed as follicular conjunctivitis, but that’s a condition that is often outgrown:

Peggy may always have more sensitive eyes, but it’s too soon to say. She’s only 21 months.

Have your puppy’s dam and sire been health tested? If you’re unsure what tests to look for, this is a good guide:

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
@cowpony - off topic, but I hadn't realized how much Mia resembles Snarky. Such similar faces and head structure!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Here’s a pretty clear photo of what we’re talking about:

View attachment 474769

And a close-up:

View attachment 474770

Bobby just finished playing in the sprinkler in this picture but if you look at his third eyelids his are just like Peggy’s, one black and one clear white. Like Peggy, he also had gunky eyes when he was a pup but that went away after a year so it’s just normal eye goobers now. I thought there was something wrong with his eyelids too but no, they are fine, just a bit more prominent, like his dam’s. He did have conjunctivitis a couple of times when he was young. Easily treated but it’s been over a year now and no real eye issues since. I would say they may be a bit sensitive as they can look a tad irritated periodically. I’m thinking environmental allergies. Nothing really concerning though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts