Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our toy is 7 years. She’s less active than in the first 3 years but still loves to play and run and chase lizards outside. Is it normal for toys to act more resigned or bored at this age? Is there any toy poodle age too old to add another toy puppy? Or does it depend on health? She has been an only child since she left her mom and littermate to live with us. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,783 Posts
There's generally a shift in energy as any breed nears their senior years. There can be a shift in needs, priorities, and preferences, too. Where Peggy zooms to drain her battery, an older dog might choose to nap to recharge theirs.

I personally think 7 is a great age to add a second dog. It's also a great time to just sit back and enjoy the wonderful adult you've got. There are no perfect answers. :) I've shared this article a couple of times recently because I think it offers some well-balanced facts and perspectives:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Very interesting article PeggyTheParti. I had never considered many of the points it brings up. However, after seeing two unsuccessful people try to get a second dog, and it not working, I had decided if I get a second dog I would let my Spoo Tiki choose it! There are just obviously some dogs that he likes better than others. That is so obvious when we go to the dog park. He is not aggressive, and tolerates all of them in a friendly way, but is just obviously delighted to see some of them when we meet again.

There is one thing I would change in the article. It talks about bringing a dog into the home of another. That can cause aggression right off! How would you like someone walking into your house uninvited?

From my experience, I have discovered it works so much better to have them meet out in public first, for example walking from opposite directions on a roadway/sidewalk a ways from and then in front of their house, as if they were just out for a stroll, and then walking together for a bit, and maybe even play. Then see if the other dog is open to having the new one come in? We have never had this not work, even with aggressive other dogs. Sometimes people have told me they would need to lock their dog in another room for my dog to come in. So far it has worked really well, they often even lay down together under the table while we eat, much to the amazement of their owners :)

·
Premium Member
6,974 Posts
There are no perfect answers, it depends on the dogs involved, mine are lovers not fighters. I added a puppy to my 13 year old toys, then another puppy when one of my elder toys passed. Those puppies brought new life to my older dog's life.

·
Premium Member
24,021 Posts
As twyla noted there is no one correct answer to this question. I think one has to be honest about why you think another dog is a good idea. Do you really think the new dog will be a welcome playmate and companion for your older dog or do you just really want another dog? Either answer is okay just as long as you are honest with yourself. I also think you need to be prepared to be careful with the introductions being on neutral ground and honest in your evaluation of what you think your first dog thinks about things and being prepared not to go forward with the new pup if your current dog really isn't happy. It took Lily about 6 months to decide she had much positive interest in Javelin. I worked hard to be a bit unattached to him until Lily really had decided he could stay.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I try to add a pup by age 5 but that's not always possible. In our tiny Chihuahuas, we added Tinkerbell when Baby Mouse was 9 but Baby still played with our other Chi, Boo Boo. (Boo is a play maniac). Baby never played until we got Boo & then they would wrestle & play & chase each other. it was so much fun to watch. So we found the perfect play companion for Baby Mouse in Boo Boo. But as Baby was getting older we knew Boo would not do well as an only Chi, so we added tiny Tinkerbell. Tink took one look at Baby Mouse & fell in LOVE. It was a trio love fest but honestly Tink did everything Baby Mouse did except Tink would play wrestle & run whereas Baby was starting to not want to do that. Tink even acted as Baby's seeing eye Chi when the old dog's eye sight wasn't so great. This was super sweet because Baby had done this when she was a little pup & had a 17 yr old Shih Tzu who was her hero. Dogs can be so amazing that way. So long as the toy Poodle is playful & the pup is the right match, it would likely be a lot of fun (or at least it has been for our Chihuahuas).

·
Registered
632 Posts
toy breeds live a long time, while 7 might mean senior for a large dog, you've still got a adult dog on your hands

1 - 7 of 7 Posts