Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i was at pet smart getting new toys with my poodle crew and we drew alot of attention like we always do . And this couple came up to us with two toys and a spoo (Benjamin) . Their spoo was two days YOUNGER than othello but he was HUGE. i mean he was tall and already 40lbs at 4months i mean he towered othello and made othello truly look like a little puppy but he already had adult canines and he has a denser adult looking coat and Othello has baby teeth and a tru pyppy coat. It was like night and day. I love my baby and as long as hes healthy thats all that matters and people are always captivated by his beauty. But i was like is othello small at 19in and 25lbs or is Benjamin huge at 21in and 40lbs. Thoughts??

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've read different lines may mature at a bit different rates, so this could be a good question to also ask your breeder along with the experts here (I'm clearly not one!).

I'm sure Othello is precious and will grow into his own best self. It will be interesting to see how tall he is at full growth.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I don't know how it works for different lines, etc, but to me 40lbs at 4 months sounds like a lot! Sounds like Benjamin will be a very solid SPOO!. Dulcie is on the same track as your Othello (and she is from very carefully matched parents - a champion (from Texas!) and the daughter of two champions. She is expected to be a nice 24-25 inches at maturity and about 45-50 lbs. She is just over 15 weeks.

Dulcie is about 17 inches at the shoulder and weighs about 18 lbs.

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
from what i've picked up, there are some pretty large poodles out there. in fact, some unethical breeders promote them as "royal" poodles (about as unethical as promoters of "teacup" poodles). i assume there is variation in the breed re size just as there is in people. from what others are saying othello sounds fine.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
So today i was at pet smart getting new toys with my poodle crew and we drew alot of attention like we always do . And this couple came up to us with two toys and a spoo (Benjamin) . Their spoo was two days YOUNGER than othello but he was HUGE. i mean he was tall and already 40lbs at 4months i mean he towered othello and made othello truly look like a little puppy but he already had adult canines and he has a denser adult looking coat and Othello has baby teeth and a tru pyppy coat. It was like night and day. I love my baby and as long as hes healthy thats all that matters and people are always captivated by his beauty. But i was like is othello small at 19in and 25lbs or is Benjamin huge at 21in and 40lbs. Thoughts??
texaspoodlelover, I just looked up the SPOO growth chart and did a calculation for several possibilities (there is a range of per cent ages of growth at the different ages in weeks) and according to my math (someone else should check it though!) Othello's expected height is going to be at least 26 inches and weight around 55 lbs. That's a nice tall SPOO! And a nice weight, I think, for that height.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
texaspoodlelover, I just looked up the SPOO growth chart and did a calculation for several possibilities (there is a range of per cent ages of growth at the different ages in weeks) and according to my math (someone else should check it though!) Othello's expected height is going to be at least 26 inches and weight around 55 lbs. That's a nice tall SPOO! And a nice weight, I think, for that height.
Thank you so much., thats just about the height of his dad but dad was 70# his mom is 23inches and 45lbs. Just got off phone with breeder she says all her pups usually minimally hit 24inches and 50lbs. They dont prefer huge pups because they breed hunting champs

·
Registered
906 Posts
There is huge variation , that is for sure, and large spoos come from ethical breeders too. Pericles seems to be heading to be quite big...he's just 12 1/2 weeks, and he's already 18.5 pounds. Looking at the growth chart that puts Pericles' final weight somewhere in the 60 pound range. He's very lean -- looks big but it's all fluff. So my guess is he might well be around 30 pounds by 4 months. But that's well under 40 pounds!

I think nifty may have a point about the age of the big spoo puppy -- it does not seem quite right.

·
Premium Member
22,337 Posts
Lily will be six years old in September. She weighs 36 pounds and is 22 3/4" at the withers and that has been her size since she was just about to turn one. I love her size! I will never have to worry about her hurting herself jumping in agility since she carries no extra weight on her. I think Othello will be great and just the right size for him. I rather think the giant spoos are not quite what the breed standard envisioned when it described spoos as being over 15" at the withers anyway.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thank you so much., thats just about the height of his dad but dad was 70# his mom is 23inches and 45lbs. Just got off phone with breeder she says all her pups usually minimally hit 24inches and 50lbs. They dont prefer huge pups because they breed hunting champs
I had taken the weight thing at the top end - if he is at the lower end of his weight growth right now, then he is more likely to be 60lbs or more - which fits with his parents' sizes (especially his sire)!

I guess that is how the different lines and different growth rates factor in to this equation.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lily will be six years old in September. She weighs 36 pounds and is 22 3/4" at the withers and that has been her size since she was just about to turn one. I love her size! I will never have to worry about her hurting herself jumping in agility since she carries no extra weight on her. I think Othello will be great and just the right size for him. I rather think the giant spoos are not quite what the breed standard envisioned when it described spoos as being over 15" at the withers anyway.
I fully agree with u. He will be perfect for himself. And i dont want the huge spoo that some guys have. I feel they have so many issues. I was just amazed on how huge this puppy was. And to me he looked more like 6-7months but she told me the D.O.B. i mean his head was big and everything dont get me wrong he was gorgeous, everyone was amazed that he was a pup

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
I'm so foggy with puppy daze, so correct me if I'm wrong. There is a SPOO minimum height but not a maximum, right? There are probably show judge/breeder size prejudices or goals. I know my breeder told me her size preference, and how large she expected Buck to be, but it didn't register or really matter. (I have notes, somewhere.). Your breeder should be able to tell you, as well. I'm sure he's within the AKC range, too.

·
Premium Member
22,337 Posts
I'm so foggy with puppy daze, so correct me if I'm wrong. There is a SPOO minimum height but not a maximum, right? There are probably show judge/breeder size prejudices or goals. I know my breeder told me her size preference, and how large she expected Buck to be, but it didn't register or really matter. (I have notes, somewhere.). Your breeder should be able to tell you, as well. I'm sure he's within the AKC range, too.
That is correct, minimum 15" but no specified maximum. There is a lot of influence from what judges put up in terms of what breeders aim at. Sometimes this is for the good, but not always.

Look at German Shepherd Dogs as an example of for the worse. Somewhere along the line AKC judges started putting up dogs with sloping top lines rather than flat backs. Now the breed in the US barely resembles its former self or what you still see in dogs from european lines. American dogs have such exaggerated slope to their top lines that they walk on their hocks, have terrible hip problems etc. The poor things barely look like they could herd their way out of a paper bag. It is interesting to me also that most GSD in performance sports are out of european lines. I think that says something about temperament.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The standards for Standards is a very wide range of size, according to the AKC standard any poodle over 15 inches is considered a "standard", but that does not mean every 17 inch poodle had standard size parents. The standard poodle is meant to be a "medium size" dog, but in the show ring most judges would not award a dog of either sex, a ribbon if they are under 21 inches, so the show breeders have been breeding larger and larger dogs, and some mature to their full size at 6-8 months. Mean while competition groomers like the smaller standards, so some breeders have been breeding for that size. Both are still standard poodles, and both have their pros and cons according to what you are looking for and plan to do with your dog. It sounds like your puppy is just right and enjoy him as he is --perfect!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Standard Poodles do have a maximum height- in FCI countries. The max is 60cm with an allowance of 2cm. So absolute maximum is 62cm which is about 24.5 inches.
That said, there are many finished FCI dogs who are in the 25"-26" range. Very rarely are Standards measured in the ring, unless someone who owns a smaller dog is having a malicious mood. ;)

·
Premium Member
22,337 Posts
In the AKC though there is no maximum. This is from the AKC standard for poodles.

"Size, Proportion, Substance: Size - The Standard Poodle is over 15 inches at the highest point of the shoulders. Any Poodle which is 15 inches or less in height shall be disqualified from competition as a Standard Poodle."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts