1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Alfie the mini poodle 馃挄
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I feel like I鈥檓 posting new questions on here all the time馃檲

My newest question is regarding this photo:

Gesture Liver Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

I鈥檝e noticed that his teeth on the bottom left side have a baby deciduous canine and new adult canine growing next to each other. I popped to the pet store yesterday to pick up some good hard chews for him, but there鈥檚 been no change so far.

When should I start worrying/take him to the vet? Since he started teething a few weeks back he鈥檚 stopped eating as much as he used to, and while I only noticed this recently, I鈥檓 worried it鈥檚 painful for him. Is there anything else I can do?

Note: He鈥檒l be 24 weeks this Saturday.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
I can鈥檛 recall when she lost them, but Peggy retained some baby teeth for a while. We were lucky that our trainer鈥檚 assistant was a retired vet tech and she checked in on them weekly in puppy class.

I would just ask your vet at your next visit. They鈥檒l be able to tell you how long you have before it might become problematic.

Registered
If the adult tooth looks positioned to clear the upper gum the way it's currently coming in, it's probably fine to leave it and wait for the baby tooth to fall out and the adult will likely shift over into the space left. From the photo the angle looks ok but it's hard to tell with the mouth open. The only issue is if the adult tooth is damaging the upper gum/palate, because the adult canines are big enough to do real damage.

Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria (10/6/2014) Mr. Leonard Pink (8/7/2017) Walter Grey (9/28/2010(
Wouldn't worry yet, play tug a lot that should help, the canine teeth will work themselves out.

Premium Member
Hand Dog Dog breed Carnivore Organ
Hand Arthropod Insect Finger Dog breed

My Leonard retained 13 baby teeth they had to be pulled and extracted

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
I had the same concern with Elroy鈥檚 lower canines (both). He had both puppy and adult canines. I noticed the concern at about the same age as you, and by 26 weeks the babies had fallen out. His teeth are perfect (IMO) now.
BTW, my vet said don't worry about the baby teeth until he's approaching a year old.

Registered
Alfie the mini poodle 馃挄
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for all the replies! Definitely reassured me :giggle:

To answer a few questions, he isn鈥檛 neutered yet. I think the next vet visit he鈥檒l have will be his neutering (hoping nothing goes awry before then) at around 9/10 months or so.

I鈥檓 not sure if more frequent vet visits are recommended(?).

Thanks!

Super Moderator
Once the puppy vaccinations are done a yearly check-up is pretty typical.

Also, there's a trend away from early neutering. In the past it was normal to get puppies neutered at six months or even earlier. Now a lot of people are holding off until well past a year, when the growth plates have closed. There is some thought that waiting might decrease the chances of certain cancers and orthopedic issues.

Registered
Agree with cowpony. Neutering (if desired) is best completed after growth is finished. This is 1.5-2 years for standard poodles. Waiting allows the dog to grow naturally. Early desexing will cause incorrect structure and increases chances of orthopedic disease and injury and some additional diseases in standard poodles.

Registered
Hi everyone,

I feel like I鈥檓 posting new questions on here all the time馃檲

My newest question is regarding this photo:

View attachment 484532

I鈥檝e noticed that his teeth on the bottom left side have a baby deciduous canine and new adult canine growing next to each other. I popped to the pet store yesterday to pick up some good hard chews for him, but there鈥檚 been no change so far.

When should I start worrying/take him to the vet? Since he started teething a few weeks back he鈥檚 stopped eating as much as he used to, and while I only noticed this recently, I鈥檓 worried it鈥檚 painful for him. Is there anything else I can do?

Note: He鈥檒l be 24 weeks this Saturday.

Thanks!
I had my baby鈥檚 deciduous teeth removed at 10 months 鈥he vet removed 9 and she is eating much better..tried all the tug toys etc but they were firmly stuck ..hope this helps

Registered
Alfie the mini poodle 馃挄
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an update, after many games of tug and holding his bully stick for him to chew, he is now 25 weeks and all but one baby canine tooth is left at the top of his mouth (aside from any other remaining baby teeth that I don鈥檛 immediately recognize as being so). So, clearly it was too early to worry!

(Posting update if others find themselves in the same boat :giggle: He鈥檚 also incredibly slowly getting back to his normal eating/pooping schedule which is a major relief. I also have found if I give him an ice cube he鈥檒l usually be more inclined to eat his food.)

Thanks again for all the input from everyone on here!

Premium Member
Thanks for the update

1 - 15 of 15 Posts