Poodle Forum banner

is skin issues a common threat?

4090 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  bigpoodleperson
I'm new to spoos... you might have seen some of my other threads and realized just HOW new to poodles I am. Hehe.

I recently told a family friend who breads shnauzers that I was interested in getting a standard poodle. She really tried to discourage me saying that their skin is so thin that when she's had to transfer poos they would lay layers and layers of cushion to avoid some kind of skin issue and the poodles would still arrive with (heat spots? I can't remember).

Is a standard poodle's skin that sensitive? I thought maybe she was just "sold" on her breed and maybe that's why, but while looking at spoo's videos on youtube i noticed a spoo that when the sun caught his coat jsut right you could see shiny patches of skin all over his body, like patches of fur had fallen out? I realize this is only ONE poodle and ONE persons opinion, but thats why I was interested in hearing from REAL poodle owners.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,155 Posts
I know only about SA , and it is VERY rare. Buy from a breeder who does testing for that condition. Also, buying a pup from older parents (3 years or more) who are healthy and tested that year would give even more reassurance
that parents do not carry any of the disorders that plague standard poodles.

You also have to keep in mind that NO breed is free of "problems". Going with the S. Poodle would be safer than most breeds though since thankfully they are not as much over bred as many other "popular" breeds.

Go to AKC official site and read about different breeds and you will see how many disorders and diseases "hunt" certain breeds. There are also great books like : "Your Purebred Puppy- a Buyer's Guide" that would give you many useful hints about choosing a pup and what breed would suite you the best on the long run.

If you are novice dog owner , than you should buy books about puppy care and training too : ))). Those books are very fun to read and extremely useful.

Also, find a breeder who is willing to be "on call" any time you have a question.

Wishing you best of luck in your puppy-search : )))) !!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.