Poodle Forum banner

is skin issues a common threat?

4087 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  bigpoodleperson
I'm new to spoos... you might have seen some of my other threads and realized just HOW new to poodles I am. Hehe.

I recently told a family friend who breads shnauzers that I was interested in getting a standard poodle. She really tried to discourage me saying that their skin is so thin that when she's had to transfer poos they would lay layers and layers of cushion to avoid some kind of skin issue and the poodles would still arrive with (heat spots? I can't remember).

Is a standard poodle's skin that sensitive? I thought maybe she was just "sold" on her breed and maybe that's why, but while looking at spoo's videos on youtube i noticed a spoo that when the sun caught his coat jsut right you could see shiny patches of skin all over his body, like patches of fur had fallen out? I realize this is only ONE poodle and ONE persons opinion, but thats why I was interested in hearing from REAL poodle owners.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Based on what ive heard about Leerberg, they would be way too harsh of methods for a poodle as they are a Very soft breed.

Also watch for allergies in the parents. Generally the lighter dogs get allergies more then the darker colors. My boy has enviornmental allergies that are a pain to deal with.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.