Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to spoos... you might have seen some of my other threads and realized just HOW new to poodles I am. Hehe.

I recently told a family friend who breads shnauzers that I was interested in getting a standard poodle. She really tried to discourage me saying that their skin is so thin that when she's had to transfer poos they would lay layers and layers of cushion to avoid some kind of skin issue and the poodles would still arrive with (heat spots? I can't remember).

Is a standard poodle's skin that sensitive? I thought maybe she was just "sold" on her breed and maybe that's why, but while looking at spoo's videos on youtube i noticed a spoo that when the sun caught his coat jsut right you could see shiny patches of skin all over his body, like patches of fur had fallen out? I realize this is only ONE poodle and ONE persons opinion, but thats why I was interested in hearing from REAL poodle owners.

·
Registered
315 Posts
look for a good breeder. Cassie never has had any skin problems and she is out side most of the day as she hates it indoors. She knows how to open doors so she lets her self out. She also likes swimming in the lake alot and I would imagine being exposed to the elements she would have developed this by now.

My guess is your friend is speaking on personal experience not actuall scientific proof.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Only one of my poos have had any skin problems (a toy poodle) and that was because she had an allergy problem with something in the grass and it was only confined to the feet and only appeared late in her life. She ended up wearing socks I made for her. All other poos have had no problems.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know only about SA , and it is VERY rare. Buy from a breeder who does testing for that condition. Also, buying a pup from older parents (3 years or more) who are healthy and tested that year would give even more reassurance
that parents do not carry any of the disorders that plague standard poodles.

You also have to keep in mind that NO breed is free of "problems". Going with the S. Poodle would be safer than most breeds though since thankfully they are not as much over bred as many other "popular" breeds.

Go to AKC official site and read about different breeds and you will see how many disorders and diseases "hunt" certain breeds. There are also great books like : "Your Purebred Puppy- a Buyer's Guide" that would give you many useful hints about choosing a pup and what breed would suite you the best on the long run.

If you are novice dog owner , than you should buy books about puppy care and training too : ))). Those books are very fun to read and extremely useful.

Also, find a breeder who is willing to be "on call" any time you have a question.

Wishing you best of luck in your puppy-search : )))) !!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!! This puts my mind at ease. I really had a gut feeling that this information on the skin issues might have been blown out of proportion. Plus I think she was trying to lean me towards schnauzers, her favorite breed :)

I am a novice when it comes to puppy's and all, other than family dogs we owned growing up. I just got done reading, The Art of Raising a Puppy by the monks of New Skete. Any more poodle oriented books or other great ones anyone can recommend?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used Leerburgs training guids and DVDs, hes good for if you want perfect obedience.
IMO at some point you need to ween ur dog off treats cuz if there is something more apatising than your treats he is more likely to break the command.

I would also suggest some dog behavior books. Understanding your dogs bodylanguage is absolutely nessisary in my opinion. Its especially important that when socilizing your dog so you can tell if the dogs are about to take things too far before a fight breaks out.
I don't remember what the name of the book I read was, as I lent it to a friend of mine several months ago but I can find out for you.

You might also want to pick up dog grooming for dummies, a basic grooming knowledge couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
315 Posts
a condition that is prevelant in poodles and many other long haired, droopy ear breeds is ear infections, so i would suggest having a pretty good knowledge of ear care and ear grooming before you get a poodle.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have read over 30 books in my research & have found these the most helpful:
Good Owners, Great Dogs (Kilcommons & Wilson)
I Love My Dog But... (Tiz) (out of print but can find used)
After You Get Your Puppy (Dunbar) - can get for free online & also a Before You Get Your Puppy
The Other End of the Leash (McConnell)
Bones Would Rain From the Sky (Clothier)

No book will completely be in line with your philosophy & so you pick & choose what you feel comfortable with. They give you ideas to think about & some ways to implement those ideas. I would read whatever you can get your hands on to see if it works for you & don't take anyone as an "authority." They also give you an idea of the usual training issues you will have to deal with plus some problems that may develop. Of course, you will probably end up with some issue you haven't read about but at least will have an idea of the direction to head in dealing with it. We are hoping to get our puppy within the next 4 months & fully expect to be thrown something we didn't anticipate. If you run into issues, you can put it out on this list as I have seen some excellent suggestions given when that happens.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Based on what ive heard about Leerberg, they would be way too harsh of methods for a poodle as they are a Very soft breed.

Also watch for allergies in the parents. Generally the lighter dogs get allergies more then the darker colors. My boy has enviornmental allergies that are a pain to deal with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts