Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko is 55 pounds and at most he was 56 pounds. I feed him 3 1/4 of Nutro Essentials a day. The last time we went to the vet he was 55.6 pounds and the vet didn't seem concerned and didn't say anything about it, so I'm guessing he's fine.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
It’s impossible to tell without seeing him and feeling his ribs. How does it feel when you feel them ? Is there a thin layer of fat on top of the bones ? If so that’s ideal.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s impossible to tell without seeing him and feeling his ribs. How does it feel when you feel them ? Is there a thin layer of fat on top of the bones ? If so that’s ideal.
IMG_20200503_170205358.jpg
IMG_20200503_170227113_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20200503_170248364.jpg
IMG_20200503_170301413.jpg

I can feel his ribs, and I think what I am feeling is loose skin instead of a thin lay of fat. His skin is pretty loose too.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think he looks fine. I think Misha may be a tad leaner than that actually. I don't think Sisko's hips or ribs are protruding, so he's probably perfect.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
He is probably fine but if it was me I would like him to have just a little bit more fat on him.

Some dogs just don’t gain weight easily though. They have a fast metabolism and are active, so they burn all calories they eat. I don’t think you need to worry !

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks guys!! Sisko has always been like this. (just not when he was a small puppy) But I thought he was going to make it to 60lbs, so he is the same size of his mom. (She is 55lbs and his dad is like 70 or 75lbs. Even my Greyhound had more fat on him!

I guess Poodles are the opposite of Labs😅?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Whoa! I though Misha looked bigger than Sisko😆
Well it's really hard to tell with poodle fur. Even when Misha dropped to a seriously low weight for a bit people were surprised when I said he needed to gain some. But then they would feel his ribs and be like "Oh yeah actually he is really thin." I'm always trying to get Misha to gain a little bit because his last couple ribs really protrude on each side, and he's got a bit of a hollow between his hips. In the last month he's finally filled out some and doesn't seem quite so skinny. As long as you don't feel like the ribs and hips are bony protrusions, I don't think you have a problem. It's much more healthy for them to be a little under weight than a little over weight considering the strain it puts on the joints.

·
Super Moderator
1,482 Posts
He's around the height and weight Pogo was at his age. Pogo has put on a few more pounds as he gets older and more sedentary.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you just have him shaved? He looks fine to me. Noodle looks too skinny when she is shaved down. But the vet rated her health as ideal. (45 pounds)
tail.png

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I don't think he is too skinny. Funny how they really look skinny after a shave down. When I do a shave down on Asta he always looks skinny and it takes about 3 weeks for him to grow out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts