Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello PF,

We just got our miniature poodle from a breeder, except I did not do my entire homework prior to meeting up. We met the breeder in a public place, only for both of our safeties.

She couldn't provide me picture of her parents, but we still fell in love with her and took her home. Coco is extremely sweet and a very smart puppy.

Here is Coco, she is 8 1/2 weeks old and 3lbs :)!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Why do you question it. Did you get her AKC papers? That would give you a good sense as to whether she is registered as a mini. In any case she is absolutely adorable and after you get her groomed you will get a better idea. Good luck with her and may you have many happy years together in any case.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
She’s adorable and she looks purebred to me but do a clean face and it will be easier to tell. The fact that the breeder won’t show you the parents is a red flag though. Won’t she at least send you pictures ?

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Given her age, she looks like a purebred poodle to me, but of course the clean face and seeing how she walks when she gets a little older will make it easier to tell. If you definitely love that fuzzy baby face for now, I wouldn't rush to have it trimmed, although many members prefer an early grooming experience with the clippers on the face, feet, and sanitary areas.

To others: the white patches don't quite fit into the typical parti-poodle color pattern. Perhaps a parti-poodle color abstract? Also on this page, just scroll down. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Why do you question it. Did you get her AKC papers? That would give you a good sense as to whether she is registered as a mini. In any case she is absolutely adorable and after you get her groomed you will get a better idea. Good luck with her and may you have many happy years together in any case.
Poodles of all sizes are simply registered as poodles with AKC. You cannot specify the size. A reputable breeder would provide a pedigree and evidence of genetic testing. A reputable breeder would welcome you to see the mother - and the father if he is on the premises. A reputable breeder would have clipped the puppy's face, feet, and the base of the tail unless specifically asked not to do so.

She is certainly cute and could very well turn out to be just the best dog you have ever had! Best wishes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the responses! It was my first time getting a puppy from a breeder. She is extremely adorable, a lot of people think she is doodle, I love and adore her very much. She is very smart for being an 8-week old puppy. She only had a single accident, only because she was nervous the first a couple of hours in her new home. I only made this post to see if anyone can identify her breed, although she does look purebred to me, the breeder was a little unprofessional and did not provide any pedigree papers. I think she thought I was planning on reselling her or something not entirely sure.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Your little one is adorable, no matter her breed. To be frank, the breeder sounds less than ideal and less than informative.

It's simply not possible to tell by just looking, especially at this young age, and especially with the ungroomed doodle style face, but there are DNA tests to determine breed, if you want to do that.

Did this breeder put anything in writing, stating that either little Coco or her parents are purebred poodles? A bill of sale? A health guarantee?

If they did, and you can prove that what they put in writing is not true, then you may have some recourse, if that matters to you.

All that said, she's home now, she's yours, she's adorable, and PF is here if you need any help with raising her.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Poodles of all sizes are simply registered as poodles with AKC. You cannot specify the size. A reputable breeder would provide a pedigree and evidence of genetic testing. A reputable breeder would welcome you to see the mother - and the father if he is on the premises. A reputable breeder would have clipped the puppy's face, feet, and the base of the tail unless specifically asked not to do so.

She is certainly cute and could very well turn out to be just the best dog you have ever had! Best wishes.
Ha I guess I never looked at Renns papers I assumed they specified, learn something new everyday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts