Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I got Max a standard puppy a month and a half ago he is now almost 4 months old, both his parents are jet black but Max has a gray face and a few gray hairs on his tail and paws, is he going to be silver? He is AKC registered.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would guess that he is silver, but is going to be more of a steel colored silver than platnum. He looks about the same color as my Mercury at that age but now a month later the grey has started to spred to his roots all over his body. His brother, Jupiter, is a much lighter silver and it spred to his roots at an earlier age. I could be wrong about Mercury being a silver as well, but I was pretty sure a blue wouldn't be showing up as light at this age. I'm certainly no expert.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Cute as can be:)
- I dont know if it is either....there are a few people on here that are real good with color. If it was silver it should be prominant in between the paw pads of silver not various silver hairs. I thought I had a picture of Suri as a baby, if not tintlet.com has a cute little girl on their page that shows a pretty silver girl. There may be variations of silvers???

·
Registered
681 Posts
He might be more of a blue. I know my breeder does black to black, and she ends up with a few blues in the litters. Our little guy will be blue, as soon as I get a more recent picture of him, I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sure looks like he may be a silver, if not, a blue. Blues normally change slower so my guess would be silver. Pretty boy! He sure looks like a sweetheart. :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'd say that there is good chance he is Silver. If not Silver then for sure Blue. I would not say that his parents are Black. Mom looks quite dusky and Dad has some lightening on his face. How old exactly were the parents? If they are very young themselves, my guess is that they have not finished with their own color change.

What are the registered names of dam and sire? I'm willing to guess that they both have Silver or Blue behind them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not that I know much about color except from looking at pictures, I would guess Silver though!

He is soooo STINKIN CUTE, whatever the color!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Well, mom is definitely not black! In fact, the picture makes her look brown. The dad looks just like Billy with the lighter color on his muzzle. Billy is blue and is changing very slowly. The pup looks like a silver; dark like jester's mom's Grace who looks pewter or gray. But, if he isn't a dark silver then he is definitely going to be blue. My vote goes to silver though.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Hi I got Max a standard puppy a month and a half ago he is now almost 4 months old, both his parents are jet black but Max has a gray face and a few gray hairs on his tail and paws, is he going to be silver? He is AKC registered.
Why don't you part the coat on the legs, and again on the back, and post some photos of that and we will have a much better idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I breed silver and blue, your baby looks sliver to me. His dad looks blue and mom looks like a bad black. As your boy gets older wash him with a brighting shampoo and his sliver will look brighter. Also keep tipping him and it will help to bring up his adult coat.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, definitely looks silver, but his face is fuzzy so still has some darker tips hiding that bright silver face. I bet you that if you took him to a groomers and got his face shaved that it'll be a bright silver under there!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
yup, definitely looks silver, but his face is fuzzy so still has some darker tips hiding that bright silver face. I bet you that if you took him to a groomers and got his face shaved that it'll be a bright silver under there!
I was thinking the same thing about the face, feet too. I bet they are lighter underneath that hair. Your baby reminds me a lot of what my girl Saleen looked like when we brought her home. Dark black almost everywhere except birght silver face (It was short when we got her and I keep it shaved all the time b/c I am anal about that) and slightly silver feet. Some pics of her at various ages
2009_0308newpuppy0038.jpg
3 mo old her first day with us

2009_05010044.jpg
5 months old

2009_05150033.jpg
close up of face at five months old

2009_1226Christmas090043.jpg
this is what she looks like now, she's 13 mo old.

Oh my gosh Legacy are you putting a silver in the English Saddle?? I can't wait to see photos if that's a yes. Silvers are my favorite, I wish I was colo11r blind but sadly blue and silver (pertains to just about any animals) is my fav

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your puppy looks to be a blue.

I thought Maddy was a black, but she turned out to be blue! (And I'm not blue she's not black! LOL)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts