Poodle Forum banner

Is my runt mini poodle technically a toy?

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
I have been trying to find the answer to this question on the internet, but haven't had any luck. I have a mini poodle who happens to be really small for a mini poodle (I can barely get him to stay above 8 lbs, sometimes dipping down below). I know that both of his parents were AKC registered mini poodles, but he doesn't meet the size requirement of a mini poodle. Does this technically make him a toy or is there more involved in the distinction between the two than just size? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just have been wondering!

#5 ·
I think he is just at the 10 inch mark but I will remeasure when I pick him up from daycare today! And for the second part, the vet said he was a little underweight when he was under 8 lbs but I don't think he will ever get to the weight of a "normal" mini and not be overweight.

#3 ·
Nope he is still a mini, I had two mini minis out of miniature parents. Both were 10" tall and were 10 lbs and 8 1/2 pounds

#4 ·
Your pup has the genome of a mini, not a toy so he is a mini. Minis and toys can also go over size and by the same token a really small standard could finish under 15".

#8 ·
There are separate gene pools for the different varieties, although genetically they are all poodles.

#12 ·
Thank you, the sweet duo is many years gone no, I have a new gang of poodles now
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Standard Poodle

Leonard, Pia and Beatrice.
Your pup is really cute, what's his name?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.