Poodle Forum banner

Is my runt mini poodle technically a toy?

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
I have been trying to find the answer to this question on the internet, but haven't had any luck. I have a mini poodle who happens to be really small for a mini poodle (I can barely get him to stay above 8 lbs, sometimes dipping down below). I know that both of his parents were AKC registered mini poodles, but he doesn't meet the size requirement of a mini poodle. Does this technically make him a toy or is there more involved in the distinction between the two than just size? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just have been wondering!

#5 ·
I think he is just at the 10 inch mark but I will remeasure when I pick him up from daycare today! And for the second part, the vet said he was a little underweight when he was under 8 lbs but I don't think he will ever get to the weight of a "normal" mini and not be overweight.

#3 ·
Nope he is still a mini, I had two mini minis out of miniature parents. Both were 10" tall and were 10 lbs and 8 1/2 pounds

#4 ·
Your pup has the genome of a mini, not a toy so he is a mini. Minis and toys can also go over size and by the same token a really small standard could finish under 15".

#8 ·
There are separate gene pools for the different varieties, although genetically they are all poodles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.