Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Chanel, brown standard female. Midas, white mini male (fixed). Charlie, black maltipoo.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to showing so I checked out the AKC requirements of structure. My puppy’s father is a Russian import show dog and she most resembles him (at least I think). I think her muzzle is alright and may grow out with age. Though I’m concerned her eyes are too round, or hopefully she’s always widening them when I’m around.

Attached below are photos of my dog and the AKC guideline illustrations for: muzzle, eyes, and ears.
Dog Water dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Collar

AKC muzzle requirement (left), where as the right is too wide.
Nose Head White Dog Jaw

AKC eye requirement (left), right is too wide
Hair Head White Jaw Sleeve

AKC ear requirement, left is ideal
Vertebrate Jaw Mammal Organism Gesture

This is her father:

Dog Picture frame Carnivore Dog breed Art

Vertebrate Plant Mammal Tree Fawn

^ Her mother

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Given the parents structure, and the photos provided I would say yes. It would be helpful if we could see some photos of her standing. Hopefully someone more experienced than me will weigh in @Johanna.

·
Super Moderator
TeknoPOP!
712 Posts
I’m new to showing so I checked out the AKC requirements of structure. My puppy’s father is a Russian import show dog and she most resembles him (at least I think). I think her muzzle is alright and may grow out with age. Though I’m concerned her eyes are too round, or hopefully she’s always widening them when I’m around.

Attached below are photos of my dog and the AKC guideline illustrations for: muzzle, eyes, and ears.
View attachment 496016

View attachment 496018
AKC muzzle requirement (left), where as the right is too wide.
View attachment 496009
AKC eye requirement (left), right is too wide
View attachment 496011
AKC ear requirement, left is ideal View attachment 496012

This is her father:

View attachment 496005
View attachment 496008
^ Her mother
You’ll need to consult with her breeder to find out what they think and if you have rights to show. To get a better assessment from experienced folks online, provide a stacked photo of your dog from the side and front. There’s no way to tell from the photos of the parents as one is down as a puppy with no titles and the second is an informal photo that doesn’t show off structure. Also in the photo btw mom is very cow hocked, you’ll want to watch out for that in your puppy.

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
236 Posts
Just because her sire was a show dog doesn't mean she will be show quality. For the best evaluation, you would want someone to have their hands on her and go over her for you. But, if you want opinions here on her structure, you need to post a photo with her stacked like this. It's the best way for people to be able to evaluate her from a photo.
Textile Cabinetry Toy Tail Stuffed toy

Reactions: Dogs4Life and Minie

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
{Edited by moderator to fix broken formatting; no content changed}

What does her breeder think? Usually a breeder is delighted when one of their pups are going to be shown. You don't normally need permission to show a dog in ring, however if you purchased her with a contract that says she must be spayed then you would need permission from the breeder. Your best bet is to go to you local poodle club to get advise where they can do a hands on assessment. Good luck

·
Registered
Chanel, brown standard female. Midas, white mini male (fixed). Charlie, black maltipoo.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@EVpoodle @RylieJames @Phaz23
Yes I know her father being in show doesn’t essentially make her show quality. Hopefully these photos are alright? Sorry for the bad lighting, but she’s a solid brown. I’ll put a random photo of her in good lighting as to show the color better.
Water Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water Fawn

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Water

Random photos as color reference:
Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Carnivore Dog

Comfort Textile Mammal Felidae Grey
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Though I’d love to have commentary on her based on these full bodies, I was most concerned with her eyes not being ideal

·
Registered
236 Posts
Though I’d love to have commentary on her based on these full bodies, I was most concerned with her eyes not being ideal
Her eyes seem a bit wide-set for my liking. As to the shape... that's less of an issue for me because that can be "cheated" with good banding and a bubble.

The full body photos aren't from the best angles for evaluation. You want to take the photo looking straight on at the side of the dog. We're trying to evaluate the dog's angles, and when the photo is taken from an angle (from the front, or looking down at the dog), it can distort things. So, evaluating based off these photos isn't as "accurate" so to speak. With that disclaimer, I'll give you my initial impressions.

She's not stacked very well. She isn't getting her rear legs out from underneath her. But, it looks like she doesn't have good rear angulation, which means a proper stack may feel uncomfortable for her. She also looks like she might be a little high in the rear. And she looks like she has a low tail set. I like how her front legs are set nicely under her. But, it looks like she doesn't have a good lay-back of shoulder. And I think a more upright-shoulder makes her want to carry her head more forward instead of upright. With all this, keep in mind this age isn't the best for evaluation. And a hands-on evaluation is best.

What are your plans for showing? Are you wanting to show OH? In AKC or UKC? Do you have a mentor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I’m sorry about the angles. I’ve never done this before although I’m very keen to learn.
I’m sure my plans aren’t good enough to be novice lol, as I’ve got no idea about what goes on behind closed doors for dog shows. I’ve only worked with chickens till now.
Anyways my plan is to show her for her first couple years and then retire her into service/therapy. Last part is for whichever fits my needs as my career is working with special needs children. I’m getting her registered AKC as soon as I’ve got the time to look at it. I don’t have a mentor, that sounds like it’d be a tremendous help. I’ve asked show related trainers nearby for some pointers, but I’m told to watch the Westminster dog show.
Sorry again for being so inexperienced!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can’t comment on her structure but showing a poodle is an enormous investment in time and money and grooming. If she isn’t already AKC registered, did you purchase her from a reputable, preservation breeder? Was she imported (I can’t figure out from initial post, I do see father is Russian import)? Poodles are a very difficult breed to show for a person new to showing. Even poodles with experienced owner-handlers I’ve heard have an uphill battle in the AKC breed ring against $$$$, impeccable breeding, top quality pro handlers, and extensive coat care. Also, what does your purchase contact require, was she sold as a pet? Then she was determined by the breeder to not be show quality. Finally, dogs in the show ring cannot have been spayed or neutered - so you will have the responsibility to keep her from getting pregnant unintentionally and living with a bitch in season, not everyone is comfortable with that aspect.

If you purchased her as a pet and for therapy work, I would focus on those endeavors over showing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Okay, I’m sorry about the angles. I’ve never done this before although I’m very keen to learn.
I’m sure my plans aren’t good enough to be novice lol, as I’ve got no idea about what goes on behind closed doors for dog shows. I’ve only worked with chickens till now.
Anyways my plan is to show her for her first couple years and then retire her into service/therapy. Last part is for whichever fits my needs as my career is working with special needs children. I’m getting her registered AKC as soon as I’ve got the time to look at it. I don’t have a mentor, that sounds like it’d be a tremendous help. I’ve asked show related trainers nearby for some pointers, but I’m told to watch the Westminster dog show.
Sorry again for being so inexperienced!
No need to apologize. We all start somewhere. No one was born knowing how to show dogs lol. There is definitely a learning process to it. And it's not easy. In fact, it's a lot of work. But, it can be a lot of fun. I'd be happy to help you, if you'd like.

The first thing you would need to do is fill out her AKC registration and get her paperwork. In order to show her in AKC conformation, she needs to be on "full registration." Do you know what the terms were with her breeder? If she's on "limited" its typically an indication that her breeder evaluated her and determined she wasn't a show prospect. In that case, you could show her in UKC. UKC is a much easier venue to show in and is typically better for those starting out. You can show in any clip and no hair products are used. They also have an altered class for pets that are spayed/neutered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@Poodle2021 Seeing as I’ve had poodles and large dogs for years I’m pretty sure I know grooming costs quite a bit. I know training costs a lot (service dogs alone are 11k and two years of work minimum). It’s easy to find out a bunch of negative aspects that someone unequipped couldn’t dream of handling. Yep I know. It’s harder to find resources though, and honestly I’m just trying to have fun in something I can feel pride in. This happens to fit criteria that cater to my interests, so why not? Besides all the reasons you listed lol.

That aside she’s from this breeder and is not a Russian import. I’m not fixing her, and I’ve got experience with unfixed males and females. Big dogs, little dogs, etc.
I guess I can divulge that she’s allowed by the breeder to go into breeding and show if I choose to do so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@RylieJames Thanks! Yeah, I’d like to try my hand at it and see how far I can go. I like to work hard at difficult interests and all that.

She’s not limited and I’ve got the paperwork to register her asap. If I wanted to breed her I just need to do some expensive paperwork provided by the people I purchased her from. I had a chat with the breeder about my interests with a dog before purchasing, so she knew of my goals with show and my career with service. I won’t be fixing her so no worries about that.

I’d like to look into any kind of resources to learn and I’ll take them by the pounds :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
@RylieJames Thanks! Yeah, I’d like to try my hand at it and see how far I can go. I like to work hard at difficult interests and all that.

She’s not limited and I’ve got the paperwork to register her asap. If I wanted to breed her I just need to do some expensive paperwork provided by the people I purchased her from. I had a chat with the breeder about my interests with a dog before purchasing, so she knew of my goals with show and my career with service. I won’t be fixing her so no worries about that.

I’d like to look into any kind of resources to learn and I’ll take them by the pounds :)
I think she could be a great dog to learn with. However, I don't believe she will be competitive in the show ring. That doesn't mean you shouldn't show her--it could be a great experience for you and her. It's a wonderful way for you two to bond. And it is a way for you to learn the ropes and how to show. Sometimes people get started with a dog that isn't competitive and then after some experience and once they know what they want in a show dog, they buy another dog from a show breeder.

As to the work involved--one of the first things you want to start working on is coat care. They require a lot of coat maintenance. And it is very different than going to a pet groomer. That is why people that show poodles either learn to groom themselves or hire a handler. She needs to be bathed every week. I prefer Why B*tch B3 shampoo and highly recommend it. You'll need to dry her with an hv dryer first and then put her under a stand dryer while you stretch dry the coat. Clipper her face, feet, and sanitary. Don't scissor or trim any other hair though.

You also need to refrain from using any collars or harnesses on her. They damage coat hair. There are a few brands (Quilted Hound and Pants for Dogs) that make coat saving collars that can be used when necessary for walks. But even these collars need to be kept to an absolute minimum.

As her coat gets longer, you'll need to start putting bands in her topknot. And then eventually down her neck. I highly recommend Lainee Ltd. bands. You can buy them online or at shows.

There is a great online "University" that teaches poodle coat maintenance and grooming for the show ring. It's taught by Allison Foley. It's called Leading Edge Dog Show Academy--she has a for-pay website and a free youtube channel. You can buy a monthly subscription to her website (about $40/month) to have access to all her videos. Or, you can buy each video individually or in group packages. I bought her "Poodle University" package. I believe it was about $400. It is a valuable resource.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Also, I live in Florida and travel to most shows in Florida and the southeast. I'd be happy to meet up with you at a show if you're there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think she could be a great dog to learn with. However, I don't believe she will be competitive in the show ring. That doesn't mean you shouldn't show her--it could be a great experience for you and her. It's a wonderful way for you two to bond. And it is a way for you to learn the ropes and how to show. Sometimes people get started with a dog that isn't competitive and then after some experience and once they know what they want in a show dog, they buy another dog from a show breeder.

As to the work involved--one of the first things you want to start working on is coat care. They require a lot of coat maintenance. And it is very different than going to a pet groomer. That is why people that show poodles either learn to groom themselves or hire a handler. She needs to be bathed every week. I prefer Why B*tch B3 shampoo and highly recommend it. You'll need to dry her with an hv dryer first and then put her under a stand dryer while you stretch dry the coat. Clipper her face, feet, and sanitary. Don't scissor or trim any other hair though.

You also need to refrain from using any collars or harnesses on her. They damage coat hair. There are a few brands (Quilted Hound and Pants for Dogs) that make coat saving collars that can be used when necessary for walks. But even these collars need to be kept to an absolute minimum.

As her coat gets longer, you'll need to start putting bands in her topknot. And then eventually down her neck. I highly recommend Lainee Ltd. bands. You can buy them online or at shows.

There is a great online "University" that teaches poodle coat maintenance and grooming for the show ring. It's taught by Allison Foley. It's called Leading Edge Dog Show Academy--she has a for-pay website and a free youtube channel. You can buy a monthly subscription to her website (about $40/month) to have access to all her videos. Or, you can buy each video individually or in group packages. I bought her "Poodle University" package. I believe it was about $400. It is a valuable resource.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Also, I live in Florida and travel to most shows in Florida and the southeast. I'd be happy to meet up with you at a show if you're there.
Thank you so much for all this information, everything is a big eye opener. I agree with what you say about my dog being my initial experience in non-competitive show. I think it’ll be a rewarding experience.
I’ll be sure to contact you if I’m able to learn enough to ask questions lol.

I’d love to meet you at a show sometime! Do you only go to AKC hosted, or are there others you attend?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@RylieJames also I’m sure this is obvious, but should I avoid putting her in the pool? I’ve put her in once because I’m considering using it as physical therapy for her. She’s been in a kennel her whole life till now, so a trainer and my vet her muscles are thinned out in the back. I’ve heard good results when putting senior dogs in the bath to walk, with the friction and everything.

If it’s not possible to bath her well enough afterward to prevent damage, I understand and will just stick to walking.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@RylieJames also I’m sure this is obvious, but should I avoid putting her in the pool? I’ve put her in once because I’m considering using it as physical therapy for her. She’s been in a kennel her whole life till now, so a trainer and my vet her muscles are thinned out in the back. I’ve heard good results when putting senior dogs in the bath to walk, with the friction and everything.

If it’s not possible to bath her well enough afterward to prevent damage, I understand and will just stick to walking.
Swimming in the pool is good for her. I would just keep it to days when you can bathe/dry her afterwards. If you let her air dry after the pool, her coat can mat.

Reactions: Chanelpawpaw

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

It sounds as if the breeder provide a limited registration form. If they said they would charge for paperwork required to show, that is highly unethical and quite suspicious. I agree with Rylie James' and Mufar42's statements about getting some knowledgeable people to evaluate her.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts