Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have a sheepadoodle who is mostly poodle. This is probably a common concern, but how do I know if she’s too thin? She’s really energetic so it’s not like she’s lethargic, but she just seems........ rlly thin. We had her shaved recently so maybe she just seems thin compared to her fluff, but wow...... how do I know if she’s too thin?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Do you have a picture? Something I heard a long time ago is that if you put your fingers over the ribs and press very gently, it should feel like there is a blanket over them. If you can feel all of the ribs, then the dog is underweight. Disclaimer: I am not a vet. Please call yours if you really think your dog is seriously underweight.

A lot of dogs just look skinnier when shaved down. After all, there is that ‘fluff’ on top.

·
Super Moderator
5,809 Posts
Peggy was underweight as a puppy and that dip between her hips was the most obvious sign. It quickly filled in as we figured out how best to nourish her.

How does your vet feel about your dog's weight? I'd probably trust their judgement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts