Poodle Forum banner

Is my poodle a mini, Klein, or standard? Cream or apricot?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. This is my first time posting. I don't know if my poodle is a mini, Klein, or standard? Is he cream or apricot? If you guys can give me your opinions I would appreciate it because there's a lot of contradicting information online. My poodle's name is Louie he's a year-and-a-half old and he's the best dog I've ever had.!
20200118_183428.jpg

·
Registered
739 Posts
How tall is he at the top of his shoulders? That will determine what size he is.
If he is "15 or smaller then he is a mini. 15" through around 21" then a klein. 15" then he is technically a standard. So, in the USA there is no technical registration for a klein at least in the AKC, just standard which is over 15". In Europe they do have kleins-moyens which are small standards-tall miniatures.

About his coloring.
To me he looks like a cream because he has darker markings and is not white but close to it. but I am not sure, so perhaps someone else will post on that with more knowledge.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My vote is cream miniature. Creams usually have darker nose. Apricot’s noses fade as they get older. I’m sure their is someone more knowledgeable than me. But, that’s my vote!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Than you very much. He is 17"at the shoulders. The color looks lighter in the picture. He is beige with dark ears, elbows and knees. Thank you for all the info, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Welcome to you and Louie. He looks like a real sweetheart.

What were Louie’s parents registered as? That will answer definitely what he is. If mother and father were miniature, then he’s an oversized miniature. If his parents were Standards then he’s a very small standard. If one parent was a mini, and one standard then he’s an intervarietal. If you don’t know what his parents are, then he’s just and adorable Poodle.

Most countries don’t not have Klein size, also known as medium or moyen. The only countries with Klein size are members of Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI) If you had imported him from a FCI country or he was from imported parents from a FCI then he would be a Klein in the German speaking countries.

I believe he’s a cream.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to you and Louie. He looks like a real sweetheart.

What were Louie’s parents registered as? That will answer definitely what he is. If mother and father were miniature, then he’s an oversized miniature. If his parents were Standards then he’s a very small standard. If one parent was a mini, and one standard then he’s an intervarietal. If you don’t know what his parents are, then he’s just and adorable Poodle.

Most countries don’t not have Klein size, also known as medium or moyen. The only countries with Klein size are members of Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI) If you had imported him from a FCI country or he was from imported parents from a FCI then he would be a Klein in the German speaking countries.

I believe he’s a cream.
when I bought from the breeder I was told that he was a mini and I only got see his mother but not the father. And thank you for saying he's adorable. I agree with you 100%. He's such a great dog I was just curious. Thank you so much for your info.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
when I bought from the breeder I was told that he was a mini and I only got see his mother but not the father. And thank you for saying he's adorable. I agree with you 100%. He's such a great dog I was just curious. Thank you so much for your info.
There are clear definitions and standards set by the various poodle organizations such as the Poodle Club of America as to the naming of the sizes...... at the end of the day you have a great dog and that's what counts.

For people who are picky about nomenclature and definitions - given you were told the mother was a mini, you are safest calling him an oversized miniature. That's not unusual. Breeders like to show miniatures that are close to the 15" cut off. It's harder to title a miniature poodle who is closer to the 10" size. As a consequence puppies often go over 15".

Reactions: Louis Louie!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are clear definitions and standards set by the various poodle organizations such as the Poodle Club of America as to the naming of the sizes...... at the end of the day you have a great dog and that's what counts.

For people who are picky about nomenclature and definitions - given you were told the mother was a mini, you are safest calling him an oversized miniature. That's not unusual. Breeders like to show miniatures that are close to the 15" cut off. It's harder to title a miniature poodle who is closer to the 10" size. As a consequence puppies often go over 15".
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thank you very much. This is my first time owning a poodle, I've had other types of dogs but this is by far my best dog ever. I wish I could have more! But I just devote all my time and life to this one. Thank you again, yours is so beautiful too.

Hey, that makes sense. Thank you very much. This is the first time I have a poodle I've had other dogs but this is by far the best dog I've ever had. I think your dog is beautiful as well. Thank you very much for helping me.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
To me he is a cream miniature. If his parents are registered as miniatures that is what he is regardless of the size he turns out to be. He would just be an oversized or undersized miniature.
He is quite adorable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Much more far. That seems to be the consensus coming in. I really thank you for the nice comment. Your dog is so adorable as well. Poodle power!
Sure looks cream to me to. Great pix - welcome
Thank you Astas mom. Most people agree with you. ASTA is beautiful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts