Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlie was born coal black with just a white blaze on his chest. By age 2 1/2 years we started to see white hairs sprinkled throughout his coat. At 3 1/2 years there are many more white hairs . He is neutered and we adore him, so it doesn't matter, but I am curious if we might end up with a mostly white poodle some day. My sister in law had a horse born dark dapple grey, who slowly turned nearly white by age 10

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,594 Posts
If he's a bad black, then no, he's just going to get more grizzled as he ages.

Grey horses start out dark and gradually lighten as they get older. Often the greying starts as a ring around the eye and muzzle when the horse is quite young, as in this picture from wikimedia.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Stutemitfohlen.jpg

Blue and silver poodles often show a similar pattern of the grey appearing first as light rings on the face. Here's my boy Galen showing rings very similar to that young grey foal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he's a bad black, then no, he's just going to get more grizzled as he ages.

Grey horses start out dark and gradually lighten as they get older. Often the greying starts as a ring around the eye and muzzle when the horse is quite young, as in this picture from wikimedia.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Stutemitfohlen.jpg

Blue and silver poodles often show a similar pattern of the grey appearing first as light rings on the face. Here's my boy Galen showing rings very similar to that young grey foal. View attachment 471502
Thank you so much for the information! I like the shots of Galen. I was puzzled because Charlie does not have rings around eyes or muzzle, just evenly distributed white hairs throughout his coat

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,594 Posts
Another clue is that a young blue dog will have brown undertones compared to a black dog. Here is young Galen trying to steal Pogo's tennis ball.

Pogo was a black and cream parti phantom. Originally his ears and head were solid blue-black, apart from the cream pips over his eyes and cream cheeks. He had just turned 10 in this photo, and he had grown quite grizzled. Still, you can see how Pogo retained the blue undertones, while Galen's undertones are almost purple

1 - 7 of 7 Posts