Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom bought these clippers last year that we used on our Spoo foster and it worked great! I tried using it on Atticus a couple months ago and it made his hair look like he got stuck in a woodchipper, all uneven and sparse along his back. It didnt even trim all of his hair. I groomed out spoo so I know how to do it but its not getting along with his hair! Is it a crappy clipper or is it because of Atticus' cottony hair?

I want to take him to the groomer to get groomed but will have to wait a month before I can (his leg will take a couple weeks to get back to normal and strong again, and he is getting neutered next week). So I'm kind of stuck. I either have to hand scissor him (ugh) or try using the clippers again hoping they dont butcher his hair again, OR wait a month and bring him in to get done.

My clippers. We were planning on buying an Andis but that money went to his neuter so were out of the money

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's probably just his hair. It's puppy fur, and he seems to have extra cottony hair. Try going over his body over and over and over again with the clippers to get the most even finish you can. After you're done, scissor him up a tad to get him to look a bit more smooth. I know it's a pain, but he sure does look cute afterwords. ;)

Or hey, you could just wait and take him to a groomer. But that's your call.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I was thinking, that it is his puppy hair that is the problem.

Last time I tried going over his hair multiple times but every time I went over it I made it worse and worse, so I'm kind of scared to try that again lol. I'm going to give him another bath in a couple days to try and get rid of the tape glue from his cast and to get rid of alot of his dead skin that is flaking around. His skin doesnt look dry, I think its from not having a bath in so long. And I'll scissor him down short, and then maybe go over it with the clippers if it comes out horrible. I think I'm better with scrissoring than with clippers, lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
did you oil the blade before using it? That will make the blade drag and pull the hair. Just a thought. Also, were you using combs or just that blade? If using the combs, it may have been that his coat was not thoroughly combed out and it was snagging and dragging or it could have been there was to much static building up in the coat as your were clipping.

Glad to hear your boy got his cast off and is on his way to a full recovery :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you oil the blade before using it? That will make the blade drag and pull the hair. Just a thought. Also, were you using combs or just that blade? If using the combs, it may have been that his coat was not thoroughly combed out and it was snagging and dragging or it could have been there was to much static building up in the coat as your were clipping.

Glad to hear your boy got his cast off and is on his way to a full recovery :)
I was using combs and they were going through smoothly, but I think it may have been very staticy like his hair tends to be. I dont think I oiled the blade right before using so I dont think it was that. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it was the clippers, they were cheap ones at a store my mom was at and thought we'd try them on the spoo. They worked well on her, but not on Atticus. I dont really like them myself, they are very noisy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cottony puppy fur is a little more difficult to groom smoothly, but it shouldn't make that big a difference. Some poosible causes for your problem: dull blade (that's exactly how a very dull blade performs), static buildup (likely some but probably not ALL of the problem), or low spm (basically, crappy clippers).

I use and recommend Chris Christensen Ice on Ice spray. I always use it after the bath and it helps with detangling, eliminating static, and keeping that "just groomed" look and feel for much longer. I would also recommend Wahl stainless steel snap-on combs, they slide through coats much easier and don't build up static the way plastic combs do.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Its probably a combo of the clippers and the fluffy puppy coat. If i were you id just let it grow back in and send him to a groomer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts