Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To bring my 13 week old spoo to petsmart or petco when we go?? We did last week without thinking about it... but after all this "parvo" talk I'm wondering is this a no-no??

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I wouldn't but again if you've gone and not bleached the bottom of your shoes (bleach is about the only thing that kills it) you could have tracked it into your home anyway. Has she had all her shots?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm a groomer at Petco, and their floors are cleaned every sunday morning, so I'd say sunday's and mondays would be probably your safest bet. I don't believe the carts are sanitised though, so if you're going to take your pup through these places to socalize him ask them what days they do their floors. We normally tell owners not to bring them even to be groomed until after their.. second set of shots I think?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I guess I just really didn't think about it until after I read the parvo thread! I didn't know things like that were SO contagious! :doh:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
As concerned as I am about things such as parvo and distemper, I know my dogs are all fully vaccinated and protected from those viruses - I just heard yesterday (from a friend at work) that vets are cautioning people from frequenting places where many pets visit because of the dog flu that's been going around. From what I've heard, it's not deadly like parvo or distemper, but it can make your dog sick if it picks up the germ.

We've taken Lucy and Meau to PetSmart a few times. Lucy used to be slightly frightened of the vehicle itself - once she was in a car and on the road she was fine, but coming up to the car, she'd pull back on the leash with a wild look in her eye... since we've been going fun places like PetSmart or Diamond W Animal Essentials (a locally owned pet place), she's been looking forward to car rides and hops right in to go!!

Now that I've been "warned" to stay away from places like PetSmart, I'll have to find other fun places to go so she stays happy with car rides - being it's a brutal winter here in the north country, there aren't a lot of places that come to mind... Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts