Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will get my standard puppy in a few weeks, would it be rude to ask the breeder to not keep shaving its face? I like the poodles fluffy.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I feel that All puppies should be acclimated to having their face shaved. Its part of being a poodle. Once the pup is use to being shaved you can let it grow but if you do not shave at young age it will be a daunting experience for both you and the pup if ever it becomes necessary.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't think it's rude, but if it were me, I would not bother... Is customer service part of the gig? Yes, but just wait until you get the puppy and finish signing the last documents.

Just be patient and let your breeder do their thing because it's in your puppy's best interest to start desensitize them to the sound and feel of clippers from as young of an age as possible for you.

·
Premium Member
24,127 Posts
I think the breeder is doing you a favor to teach acceptance of an important aspect of being a poodle at an early age. You can go for the fluffy face later on, remembering that a good fluffy face still requires grooming and making it easier all around through your poodle's life.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not rude at all. You can also still desensitize your puppy to how the clippers will feel on their face using an electric toothbrush if you decide you don’t want to clip their face. Combing their face is also key if you decide to keep their hair longer there.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
117 Posts
Our first poodle was not clipped by the breeder and we loved her fluffy face while she was young. Then I decided it was time to give her a trim. Good grief was that hard. It took what seemed days, a ton of sweet talk along with dozens of treats to accomplish very little. The mistake was ours and I learned my lesson. We wanted a fluffy face on our new pup and enjoyed it for a very few days before I started getting her used to the clipper. We're keeping a short face and feet for now. I clip something every day and it's just become part of our day. Curls grow back so fast so I'm choosing clipper comfort for now.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Let the breeder shave the puppie’s face. It’s something that needs to be done early and at least for a few months until the puppy gets used t it. There is nothing worse than a poodle who can’t get a decent groom because it wasn’t desensitized.

·
Registered
331 Posts
No, it will not be rude but you should let your breeder do it for the sake of your pup. We also did not want a shaved face. And now, oh dear, Olive snaps, bites and gives the groomer and me so much trouble. Let your breeder desensitize your pup. You can let it grow when she is older. It is also inportant to keep her face clipped even if it will be fluffy to make sure your poodle can see well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
haha, it will be rude to yourself or your groomer if you don't desensitize your dog early on :)

early grooming is crucial for your puppy, when they are young they are so much more likely to accept something new, since everything is new to them... if you are going to ask for a fuzzy face, at least pretend to work on your dog with a electric toothbrush or put a guard on your clippers and run over your dog with the clippers on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We asked our breeder to stop shaving the face. She was super willing to accommodate! He gets his beard trimmed when grooming but not shaved completely. We have had no issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whiskey doesn’t get his face shaved because of the preferences of my family. But every other day while I brush him, I will put the clippers (turned on) up to his face and pretend shave. During the session I will also randomly put the clippers near his body or position him for scissoring. The key is to get him used to to sounds and sensation.
On a side note, I gave him his first poodle feet’s last weekend. He did surprisingly well with a bone in his mouth the whole session.
I was so glad to have those clean feet for walking in wet wether. His fluffy face is a different thing... It gets all wet and gross after a drink of water, picks up icky stuff from his walks too..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I as a breeder I prefer to be able to groom the clean face and feet as the puppy needs to be desensitized to grooming. I feel just holding the clippers with them on next to the face in not the same as having the hair and whiskers removed.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The things my Spoo got used to the first few months of his life are the things he learned the best. By all means let your puppy be groomed and shaved, and anything else the breeder can do during those first weeks to help train your dog. It is lifetime learning. It is so much easier than trying (often struggling) to to do later if you should decide you want it. Their hair grows so fast it will not be a problem to have a fluffy face after you have your pup at home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not rude at all. You can also still desensitize your puppy to how the clippers will feel on their face using an electric toothbrush if you decide you don’t want to clip their face. Combing their face is also key if you decide to keep their hair longer there.
This is how we desensitised our puppy when we first got him. The breeder had given him a first clip but told us she had accidentally nicked his face and that he may be reluctant to have his face touched because of this. We use an electric toothbrush and lots of loving touches to his face and never had any problems with clipping his face afterwards. He was a little lovebug and lapped up as much attention as he could get! :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't think it would be rude but I would advise from a training standpoint that you let that breeder continue to groom train as much as possible to make the next phase in the pup's life in the new home easier. Always remember while that pup is a tiny puppy & this will be easier, that is the time to lay the foundation that the pup will be built on for the rest of his/her life. For a poodle grooming is huge. So you don't want to stop with the face shaving until the pup is so accustomed to grooming that everything is like "BIG DEAL" to the dog. Once the dog is well behaved & trained to the grooming... then I start to do what I want & figure out what I like & what I want to upkeep on a daily basis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts