Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was talking to a breeder yesterday and said that the longer you can leave a puppy for its first full body clip the better the curls are, is this true and how long is it best to wait?

·
Registered
157 Posts
This sounds a bit like a myth to me.

The coat doesn't get really thick and curly until the adult coat grows in. I don't see how trimming the puppy coat would affect the adult coat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she said what the longer you waited the curls would start curling from the skin but i dont really understand and wanted to ask you guys as want to know everything about them

·
Registered
157 Posts
she said what the longer you waited the curls would start curling from the skin but i dont really understand and wanted to ask you guys as want to know everything about them
If you wait long enough for the adult coat to grow in, then yes. The puppy coat is thin, fluffy, and more wavy than curly. Once the adult coat starts growing in(around 1-2 years old depending on the dog), you'll notice thicker, fuller, curlier hair growing in. How often, or at what point you start trimming the puppy coat should have no effect on how curly the adult coat is. Some poodles have gorgeous adult coats, others do not due to unscrupulous breeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts