Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An all over one length cut that isn't so fluffy? We don't have our puppy yet, but I know I'm not going to do any show clips for our dog. I prefer a poodle with a little more curl to their hair, it's possible because I also have curly hair and don't like to brush out my curls. I also don't like the super long ears, to each their own, but not for me. My parents had poodles when I was a baby, but when their last poodle passed away we had dachshunds and basset hounds, and now we have a mutt currently, so I can't remember at all what it was like, but my mom kept Molly fairly curly, she didn't have that curly appearance. If it matters (and maybe it does because several books I've read say different coat colors have different characteristics), we'll have an apricot puppy.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes, you can keep them short all over with a 4F or 5F blade

Here is Lucy, She's even had shorter ears. Body was done with 5F.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I love her ears. How do you keep them full and so lush like that ? the curls are so relaxed looking.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That's done by a comb attachment, it's my one inch comb. Do not scoop at the ears, Just run straight through. I usually hold the end of the ear hair and go up toward the top knot then trim aroung the ears keeping my fingers between the ear leather and the scissors. Her ears were a bit shorter the grooming before this picture. I do Sam's ears too, but much harder to take pictures of a black dog and see the depth and curl.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've done the same with Paris' ears a fair bit too, and what length I do depends on what I feel like at the time!!! Reverse or with the grain goes hand-in-hand with how long I want it (going with the grain leaves it a bit longer)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also like the low cut, one length, low maintenance all over cuts with the curl pattern apparent. I don't like the fluffy "Afro" look. I always spritz my boys after grooming visits to make the curl return:). I do, however, have their ears a little longer (but not fluffy).
They are easier to bathe, do not pick up every little piece of vegetation outside in the hair, stay cleaner and smell better longer. Definitely not a fan of the frilly foo foo haircuts, just practicality.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Reverse for the shorter look. The picture here was the grooming after when I originally did it so they are a bit more fluffy because I did not touch them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts