Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are meeting up with the breeder in person today to meet our pup. I don't know if she has two dogs confused or what, but I found the dog she has for us listed in a show in April last year. According to her, he was born in April, but the show has his birthdate listed in August. How would you broach this subject ? If he is 15 months old, it's not that old, but I want to make sure she's being honest with me. At 15 months the coat change should have occurred already right? He is a blue, so if he's more blue than black, that should also be an indicator of age too, right? Since most blues are slow to change? I'm kind of disappointed, but I hope she was just confused. I want to give her a chance, as she has wonderful dogs, and he has beautiful lines (his grandfather is a Westpriors champion from Australia), but I also want to make sure we aren't getting duped.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You could ask to see his registration papers - they should have his correct DOB on them. I would guess she just got him mixed up with another dog. You would quickly find out if she was lying to you if he's been registered!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's registered, his whole litter is, which is how I knew that it was "my" dog listed on the dog show docket (they all have Obama-themed names).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You could ask to see his registration papers - they should have his correct DOB on them. I would guess she just got him mixed up with another dog. You would quickly find out if she was lying to you if he's been registered!
I agree - I am betting she was confused, it happens. But your good to question it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would ask her again with putting emphasis on the importance of the info.

I she is "confused" again I would find it very strange :smow:. If she is selling a dog she should have all of his papers ready as well as all documentation about vet visits, shorts etc. !!!!

How is it possible to know "so little" about a dog one is selling RIGHT NOW !???

JMO

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
She could just have misspoken. April...August.... easy enough to do.

However, there is sometimes purposeful mis-registration of whelping dates. Breeders do it because then they can show what is actually a 14 month old puppy in the 9-12 class. I'm sure you can see the advantages.

These tend to be the big players, though, who show at big shows like PCA.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, she showed his sister in the puppy class still this morning at the show, so she may have told me the wrong registration details. His papers are in order. He is a gem, and I will post the pictures in a moment, and we can't wait for him to come home next week. :) He also still has the soft puppy coat, so like I said she may have confused him with another dog. His pedigree is free of any genetic issues, so I feel comfortable buying from her, as the genetic testing was done.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
However, there is sometimes purposeful mis-registration of whelping dates. Breeders do it because then they can show what is actually a 14 month old puppy in the 9-12 class. I'm sure you can see the advantages.

PCA.
Jeeeeezzzz, and I thought I heard it all by now :doh:

Now I have on more thing to worry about :wacko:- especially if a breeder has two litters at the same time or in couple of months span !!! How possibly one can prove that THAT particular puppy is form "that and that breeding pair" :doh:

I give up........

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
This brings up an interesting question. Would a breeder only register the pups as they are sold or do they have to register the litter together? I know AKC encourages the registration of a litter at one time, but do they have to?

If not, could a breeder register an older pup as part of a current litter? From what cbrand said, it sounds like they can and do.

I understand the registration process relies a lot on the registrar to be honest. It's just too bad if breeders use this as one more way to get puppies sold. Owners deserve to know who the real parents are and how old their pup really is.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
OK...let's take this one more step. Would a breeder be so bold to indicate that the 'puppy' has great health because the parents were health tested.....knowing that they are really not the parents of that puppy? :wacko:

It is hard knowing who to trust.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Wouldn't an AKC dna test catch that sort of lie, even if the pups have the same sire?
Yeah it would.

I think I read somewhere that our Kennel Club, NZKC, is introducing this scheme or something, where is dog is DNA profiled, so things like this can't happen

·
Registered
708 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury's Mom
Wouldn't an AKC dna test catch that sort of lie, even if the pups have the same sire?

Many breeders have their breeding dogs dna tested and on file with the akc There is a number next to their registered name. So the pups can each be dna tested to confirm that the parents were in fact who the breeder says. However, the breeder has no need to do this for themselves unless the litter is dual sired. therefore, more than likely you would have to own the pup and have him/her dna tested from your home. Sometimes you just have to have faith in someone. I suppose if you only purchase from a breeder that has dna tested the parents and you go through and test your pup and the results come back unexpected, then you would more than likely be able to return the pup. But who wants to go through all of that trouble only to return the pup? I "think" that most breeders who do all the health testing, etc, have some sort of ethics and would hopefully be honest with any puppy buyers.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm pretty sure any dog that sires a certain number of litters, has to be DNA tested against his offspring. Not sure what the number is but I think I read 7? Also, breeders send in a litter registration w/ the parent's info and number of puppies, then receive a registration application for each puppy. They can either register the dogs themselves and transfer ownership later or send the application home w/ the new owners. So yes, techinically a breeder could get "extra" applications and use them on other dogs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's so sad to read so many posts of people not trusting their breeder. I guess I am learning more here than I ever thought. It's disturbing.

I can only speak for myself... but if you came to my home (I have 2 litters here) you would would see for yourself who came from whom... I would never lie about parentage. What advantage would that ever have?
And how do 'breeders' live with themselves then?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts