Poodle Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
My breeder suggested using toppers - a few shreds of chicken or beef from last night’s dinner, a spoon of cottage cheese or yogurt etc. on the kibble. Keeps it interesting instead of same old, same old. I left my Spoo’s food, down and he would graze until it was empty. I fretted like you are doing, until someone on PF reminded me that no dog, even a picky poodle, is not going to starve when there is food available.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello everyone !
sorry I’ve been busy today.
Today’s update : my cookie ate very well !! Sorry, i didnt give him just plain kibbles. Because he’s still teething. Today i still did the usual, kibbles + broth + chicken. I erased rice from our menu.
and i put him on 3 meals schedule again. I just fed him smaller portion every feeding time.
and no more soaking the kibbles till it double in size. dry kibbles poured with broth and serve to the customer immediately. oh and i changed his bowl to a plate.
cookie lost another tooth today! It was the one far inside his mouth. He dropped it when playing with his balloon.
When his gum isn’t sore anymore, i will try to give him plain dry kibbles.
oh! And, i gave cookie honey today. After his breakfast. I watched veterinary secrets on youtube and he said honey is good for dog. I gave him 1/4 tsp.
And next time when i go grocery shopping, i want to introduce yogurt to him. I wanted to get him one yesterday. But i read on internet there are ingredients in some yogurt that dog can’t eat.
there are 2 yogurt brands I’m considering to give to him. but the ingredients in both are listed differently. I should have took a picture of the ingredients and ask in here 😢

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You might want to get a copy of Canine Nutrigenomics - The New Science of Feeding Your Dog for Optimum Health.

Consider that companies that produce quality kibble have researched canine nutrition for years so they can produce dog food that is nutritionally sound. While there are some useful things you can add to kibble, those are essentially fruits and vegetables. Most dogs love carrots and broccoli. Although most dogs like dairy products, I suspect those should be limited.

My dogs get a few blueberries for breakfast, carrots for treats, and sometimes some green vegetables on their dinners. I do give them a little shredded cheese at breakfast - a very small amount. If their stools get too soft, some canned pumpkin is added to the diet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You might want to get a copy of Canine Nutrigenomics - The New Science of Feeding Your Dog for Optimum Health.

Consider that companies that produce quality kibble have researched canine nutrition for years so they can produce dog food that is nutritionally sound. While there are some useful things you can add to kibble, those are essentially fruits and vegetables. Most dogs love carrots and broccoli. Although most dogs like dairy products, I suspect those should be limited.

My dogs get a few blueberries for breakfast, carrots for treats, and sometimes some green vegetables on their dinners. I do give them a little shredded cheese at breakfast - a very small amount. If their stools get too soft, some canned pumpkin is added to the diet.
hello!
Thank you! I’ll see if i can find the book here.
i give cookie carrot sticks as treat every once in awhile. I used to give it to him everyday but after a few days he don’t finish it. He gets bored easily (sigh)
I tried to mix carrot in his kibbles. Twice ! But weird, he doesn’t like it in there. Although he like it as snack. So i just give it as treat.
i let him tried steamed broccoli once. Since i didnt look up on google if it’s ok to give the whole thing or not, so i only gave him the leaf lol he seemed to like it!
I don’t think i can find canned pumpkin. I guess steamed pumpkin works rite ?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Check any canned pumpkin you find to be sure it is just pumpkin - not pumpkin pie mix. Broccoli is fine, but does sometimes give dogs (and people) the toots. I give my dogs carrots raw. Whenever they hear me peeling carrots they assemble in the kitchen to beg for carrots. It's probably their favorite vegetable. I have even used bits of carrot as training rewards.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
"He finally ate" - horrors, that does not mean everything is good. That would mean you were basically starving him of real nutritious food, and he finally ate so as not to starve to death!

My Spoo almost died on kibble. After over $2 k of vet bills, he finally ended up on IV fluids and lost much of his body weight. I will not go into the long detail, that can probably be found elsewhere.

How would you like it if someone starved you until you were about to die if you didn't eat something, anything, to eat, and then thought they were successful in getting you to eat.? I am shocked.

Please look at what is happening here. It can simply be a beginner error. In which case I certainly forgive you :) Now is the time to fix it:) I so hope you will research and feed your beloved dog 'real' food.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kibble is like feeding a dog McDonald's his whole life. Dogs miss out on the live enzymes in real food. Plus the oils go rancid after awhile in a bag. What would you say if your doctor handed you a box of cereal and said to eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner your whole life and you'll be fine? I would switch to a raw, home cooked, or dehydrated food. No vaccines - check out the Perdue study on vaccines. This could be a contributing factor as some dogs do not tolerate vaccines very well. No neuter or any other surgeries at this time until he is eating regularly. Use homemade bone broth and raw, unfermented goats milk. The goats milk contains probiotics. Most veggies are fine to give and should be given lightly cooked as they are digested better that way. I would get a blood test and X-ray to double check things. I would also look into possible gastroenteritis, acid reflux, or over-active immune system. Check to see if he has vomited or if the stool is loose. If the pup checks out fine medically then not catering to the pickiness of the poodle as others mention is sound advice. I spend the majority of my spare time reading, researching, and studying dog care and nutrition. Take it or leave it - just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As far as yogurt goes, the simpler the ingredients the better. I’d say look for something that is plain and unsweetened. The closer to just milk and active cultures, the better. If you can find raw milk (unpasteurized) yogurt that’s even better in my opinion. Avoid any sweeteners, especially xylitol, and flavored varieties that have chocolate, honey or fruit. If you want to add honey that’s fine, but I find it best to give local honey rather than something the manufacturer mixed in.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I do give my dog the required vaccines, but only if he is super healthy, and each spaced out by a month or more, not together. And things like frontline for fleas and ticks gives him terrible seizures so he doesn't get that.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yes, steamed or baked real pumpkin would be fine. My spoo loves it, even the skin (I cut it in about 1 inch pieces).
He also loves cooked carrots (not raw for some reason), and other cooked vegetables - sweet potatoes, winter squash, broccoli. (No onion, no avocado, no corn on the cob, no salt)

And I too give mine a spoonful or two of organic whole milk plain yogurt or organic plain kefir with No additional ingredients, no sweeteners. And fruit - he loves bananas, blueberries, raspberries, apple (organic), strawberry (organic), watermelon, pineapple, etc (No citrus fruits, no cherries, no grapes, no raisins).

You are correct not to let your adorable little one have any cooked bones! Cooked bones can splinter and choke them. However, raw bones are good. Since yours is tiny, try a raw chicken wing!
Then stay with your pup while he eats it. You might need to hold onto one end while he eats it the first few times until he figures out how to do it.

Make sure the chicken is fresh human grade, and well before its used by date. If it says 'retained water', that is Ok. But Not chicken (or any meat) that has any additives or added solution. Always check the ingredients on meat. If it says added solution do Not let your dog have it (or even you). Almost all commercially frozen chicken has additives, plus some fresh. My dog became ill eating both chicken and pork with added solution.

For breakfast my adult spoo had a fresh raw chicken leg quarter, blueberries and plain yogurt :) I lay the meat on an old towel and wash it frequently. I had to train him not to try to carry it away and eat it somewhere else - yucko! Then I always wash my hands and his mouth area after he eats in case of germs. If he uses his paws when eating I wash those too. (But I even do that with kibble after they had some kibble recalls for salmonella and something else).

This is reminding me neither of us have had broccoli for awhile, so will have that tonight :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
"He finally ate" - horrors, that does not mean everything is good. That would mean you were basically starving him of real nutritious food, and he finally ate so as not to starve to death!

My Spoo almost died on kibble. After over $2 k of vet bills, he finally ended up on IV fluids and lost much of his body weight. I will not go into the long detail, that can probably be found elsewhere.

How would you like it if someone starved you until you were about to die if you didn't eat something, anything, to eat, and then thought they were successful in getting you to eat.? I am shocked.

Please look at what is happening here. It can simply be a beginner error. In which case I certainly forgive you :) Now is the time to fix it:) I so hope you will research and feed your beloved dog 'real' food.
Are you feeling OK, that was an incredibly rude reply, op did not starve her dog - the pup chose not to eat chicken!
Saying I forgive you to an Adult you have no idea about-- totally unbelievable, maybe you need a rest!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have found that our standard poodle will only eat when we are in the room with her. They are very bonded and social creatures. She likes company with her breakfast lunch and dinner! So, in the morning I feed her first, and then turn on the coffee maker and make the toast, and sit down in the kitchen with her while she chomps down. Same for afternoon snack and dinner.So that is one thing to try. The other thing, and I had a problem about two years ago when she just wasn’t eating enough, was to buy some really good wet food and mix it in with the kibble. You’ve probably already done this, but you might also want to check on the ingredients in the food to make sure that it is a really good quality.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
We have found that our standard poodle will only eat when we are in the room with her. They are very bonded and social creatures. She likes company with her breakfast lunch and dinner! ................ You’ve probably already done this, but you might also want to check on the ingredients in the food to make sure that it is a really good quality.
Both really good points, I always am around also when my spoo eats. I never leave anything out, per my vets instructions.
And... yes, we have not been told which kibble this is that your pup doesn't want to eat.... My spoo has even had problems with some 5 star kibbles. However he has never had a problem with a raw diet.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts