Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My puppy all of sudden doesnt want to eat at all today. It’s almost 1pm now. He always have eating problem. Recently he doesn’t like his kibbles. At all. Sniffs and he will leave. I’ll hand feed him one kibble, he will put in his mouth but then spit it out.
since his teething started, I’ve been soaking the kibbles. In warm water or in chicken broth. His favourite is chicken broth. Usually if i just leave it there, he will eventually eat it after he plays.
Even if he doesn’t, when i put his soaked kibbles on spoon, he will eat it eventually.
today, he doesn’t care about it at all. ive soaked the kibbles in chicken broth + chicken pieces.
usually if he doesnt care about the kibbles, at least when i give him the chicken piece, He will eat it from my hand. Today he doesn’t want it that chicken.
It’s weird. So i go and get him a clean chicken. The one that haven’t got any contact with the kibbles. He still doesn’t want it.
What should i do? I have some plans in my head :
1) leave the bowl be on the floor till night time. Maybe hopefully he will eat it. By this i wont beg him to eat and just leave him be.
2) take the food now. And put it back on next feeding hour. Leave it for an hour and if he still not going to eat it, I’ll pick it up again. Even though it will result in him not eating at all today.
3) take the food and not giving him any until tomorrow.
and when he’s sitting close to me, i can hear his stomach growl. Is he hungry? Is he starving himself even though he’s hungry?
The picture : him sniffs the kibble. Back away from kibble.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If teething is the issue, it might be that he just needs some tinned or pouched food temporarily. Of course, changing food is problematic as it might set off digestive issues.

I think I'd try option #2. Leave the food down for a bit, then take it back up if he doesn't eat it, to serve again later. Watch for symptoms of low blood sugar tho. I don't know what he weighs, but toys, especially the smaller ones, are at risk of hypoglycemia which can become a very serious health problem very quickly. Do you feed him 3 meals a day?

It may just be that he's lost interest in the flavor of that kibble but you say he's also not eating the chicken that he normally would.

I hope some of our members with toys will advise. Mine are mini's and not as susceptible to the low blood sugar.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
Poodles can be picky (especially when it comes to kibble), but I would be concerned if my puppy didn't want even plain chicken. I'd probably be calling my vet for assistance. Loss of appetite in such a young dog could signal serious issues.

P.S. Be careful there is no onion or onion powder in that broth. It's toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The discharge thing is pretty normal in intact male dogs, as far as I know. There may be a dog in heat in your neighborhood. I know he’s 5 months old, but some dogs do go through puberty faster than others, just like humans. We’re about to ask our new vet to get Fluffy (Toy poodle as well) neutered, but he tries to pull a starvation strike like this pretty much every time he thinks there’s a pretty girl dog around. Adding canned food (the kind with lots of gravy) to his kibble has helped tremendously with getting him to eat.

Don’t starve your dog, that can make him pretty sick when he does decide to chow down, as he’ll likely eat too much, and the risk of hypoglycemia goes way up. Since you don’t have any dogs in the house that’ll eat his food, I would leave it out for him to graze on and keep a close eye on him.

Barring that, it could be some kind of sickness or infection, and I would definitely call the vet today to be sure. If he doesn’t eat something within the next 24 hours, or if he starts having diarrhea or vomiting, you need to take him in. Low blood sugar is nothing to be trifled with, especially in a puppy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello! Thank you everyone for writing back.
I begged him to eat again at 4pm and he finally gave up and ate! Clean bowl. He really starved himself.
but he doesn’t fancy his dinner though.
usually i give him kibbles + chicken stock with chicken in the morning, and rice + chicken and egg for dinner.
I usually give him 3 meals a day. But since he doesn’t want to eat as much, i give him 2 meals a day now. It has been 4 days.

i dont want him thinking “ah, kibbles morning.. i hate that. I will starve myself till dinner to get that scrumptious rice chicken.”
so i gave him kibbles again for tonight’s dinner.
He only ate a bit and doesn’t fancy it anymore. My granny told me to not throw it away and give it to him again tomorrow morning. But chicken stock can go bad, right ? So, I’ll just throw this one away and make him new kibbles mix tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If teething is the issue, it might be that he just needs some tinned or pouched food temporarily. Of course, changing food is problematic as it might set off digestive issues.

I think I'd try option #2. Leave the food down for a bit, then take it back up if he doesn't eat it, to serve again later. Watch for symptoms of low blood sugar tho. I don't know what he weighs, but toys, especially the smaller ones, are at risk of hypoglycemia which can become a very serious health problem very quickly. Do you feed him 3 meals a day?

It may just be that he's lost interest in the flavor of that kibble but you say he's also not eating the chicken that he normally would.

I hope some of our members with toys will advise. Mine are mini's and not as susceptible to the low blood sugar.
yeah, i think he is bored of kibbles. I’m trying to switch him to another kibbles brand. But he seems to be not liking it lol
I hope he someday understand that kibbles is his food.
are those doggos in the picture yours ? that is so funny !! Thank you so much for the great laugh hahahahaha:LOL:

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Many poodles are finicky eaters. If you don’t want to spend your life hand feeding him (keep that for when he is ill), cooking more and more fancy dinners or switching food every week, you need to put down his food and leave it alone. Let him eat on his own. Eating is a necessity, no living being needs to be talked into eating when they are healthy.

So find a kibble he likes (give him one kibble as a treat as see if he eats it. Do that for many brands that you trust, and they go with the one he likes the most). And after that, let him eat. You can either do free feeding or 3 meals that you remove after a certain amount of time, like 15 minutes. After that he will eat at the next meal.

Having said that, because he is a puppy, you need to rule out any medical condition before starting this firm regimen. I would encourage you to see the vet, and if he is okay, then start your new approach.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poodles can be picky (especially when it comes to kibble), but I would be concerned if my puppy didn't want even plain chicken. I'd probably be calling my vet for assistance. Loss of appetite in such a young dog could signal serious issues.

P.S. Be careful there is no onion or onion powder in that broth. It's toxic to dogs.
he finally ate:LOL:
Maybe he really wasn’t hungry at all in the morning.
it was waaaay pass our feeding hour.
and no onion in the broth. It’s chicken (with the bones) + water. That’s how we always cook his chicken broth. I only gave him the meat. No bones for him. The bone is just to make the broth yum. I hope it make sense.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The discharge thing is pretty normal in intact male dogs, as far as I know. There may be a dog in heat in your neighborhood. I know he’s 5 months old, but some dogs do go through puberty faster than others, just like humans. We’re about to ask our new vet to get Fluffy (Toy poodle as well) neutered, but he tries to pull a starvation strike like this pretty much every time he thinks there’s a pretty girl dog around. Adding canned food (the kind with lots of gravy) to his kibble has helped tremendously with getting him to eat.

Don’t starve your dog, that can make him pretty sick when he does decide to chow down, as he’ll likely eat too much, and the risk of hypoglycemia goes way up. Since you don’t have any dogs in the house that’ll eat his food, I would leave it out for him to graze on and keep a close eye on him.

Barring that, it could be some kind of sickness or infection, and I would definitely call the vet today to be sure. If he doesn’t eat something within the next 24 hours, or if he starts having diarrhea or vomiting, you need to take him in. Low blood sugar is nothing to be trifled with, especially in a puppy.
oh.. um, by the way.. does your puppy humps ? Like since young. He first started trying to mount me when he was 4 months.
i always told him to not do it. To anyone. Or even a toy. And he never do it since. Sometimes he kinda wants to do it. Then i give him a stern look, and he will stop it.
and yep, got a neighbour with lots of poodles. Just a few houses away.

Oh and! My puppy is toy poodle. But my neighbour’s dog are much smaller than mine! Their adult dog is like 3 years old. But he’s much shorter and smaller than mine.
i thought toy poodle is the smallest poodle breed?o_O

he only ate once today. I hope he will be okay. I tried to feed him again a few minutes ago. But he doesnt want the kibbles. Just want chicken :rolleyes:
I’ll try to feed him again. I hope he finish it. Or at least half of it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many poodles are finicky eaters. If you don’t want to spend your life hand feeding him (keep that for when he is ill), cooking more and more fancy dinners or switching food every week, you need to put down his food and leave it alone. Let him eat on his own. Eating is a necessity, no living being needs to be talked into eating when they are healthy.

So find a kibble he likes (give him one kibble as a treat as see if he eats it. Do that for many brands that you trust, and they go with the one he likes the most). And after that, let him eat. You can either do free feeding or 3 meals that you remove after a certain amount of time, like 15 minutes. After that he will eat at the next meal.

Having said that, because he is a puppy, you need to rule out any medical condition before starting this firm regimen. I would encourage you to see the vet, and if he is okay, then start your new approach.
i always put down his food and leave. But when it comes to kibbles, he wants you to be there (i dont know it’s just me or what)
When i leave, he will always come after me. So i have to sit there and wait for him to finish his meal.
Buuuuut, when i give him his favourite, rice & chicken, i can put it down and leave. He will watch me (to make sure i dont leave his sight) but still eating his meal.
I will consult my vet on our next visit about his eating habit. I hope it’s something that’s not too serious.

·
Registered
732 Posts
oh.. um, by the way.. does your puppy humps ? Like since young. He first started trying to mount me when he was 4 months.
Yup. Especially if there’s another dog in heat. It’s a large reason, other than health, why we’re getting him neutered. Make sure you keep at stopping him, or it can turn into a really bad habit.
It could be that your dog is not a pure toy. How tall is he? Chances are, one of his parents was crossbred with a mini. It could also be that your neighbor has the teacup variety of poodle. Those dogs are itty bitty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup. Especially if there’s another dog in heat. It’s a large reason, other than health, why we’re getting him neutered. Make sure you keep at stopping him, or it can turn into a really bad habit.
It could be that your dog is not a pure toy. How tall is he? Chances are, one of his parents was crossbred with a mini. It could also be that your neighbor has the teacup variety of poodle. Those dogs are itty bitty.
was it difficult to care for dog after neutered?
I never measure him. Because it’s hard to make him stay still. He only stay still when he come to me asks for cuddles or when he sleeps. Even when he’s sleeping, a slight loud noice can make him jump up and ready to check on what that is.

·
Registered
474 Posts
With my toys I leave kibble down all day, mine have always preferred to eat small amounts here and there and then at dinner when my hubs comes home we do canned food. we also leave that down and by morning its usually gone. with toys it's hard bc if they don't eat they can encounter low blood sugar. look up hypoglycemia in toy dogs and that will give you an idea of what to always watch for. Always good to be prepared with that, just in case. I keep a tube of nutri-cal in the home at all times, its a calorie enhancer and will help with when you feel he isn's eating enough or shows signs of the low blood sugar.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
i always put down his food and leave. But when it comes to kibbles, he wants you to be there (i dont know it’s just me or what)
You should let him eat on his own. He needs to learn to eat on his own, without having to be coaxed by you or anyone else. What if he needs to be at the vets, or go to doggy daycare or other facility while you’re away on vacation ? Give him the gift of freedom. You know better, he’s just a puppy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When my standard poodle reached puberty he suddenly started eating 2/3 as much food and his weight gain slowed to almost nothing. At the same time he forgot how to walk on a loose leash and his baby boy garbanzo beans suddenly became big boy golf balls. It all happened the same week.

Since we only have one dog right now, we just leave kibble out for him. He can eat as much as he wants. His weight is perfect!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Lol
When my standard poodle reached puberty he suddenly started eating 2/3 as much food and his weight gain slowed to almost nothing. At the same time he forgot how to walk on a loose leash and his baby boy garbanzo beans suddenly became big boy golf balls. It all happened the same week.

Since we only have one dog right now, we just leave kibble out for him. He can eat as much as he wants. His weight is perfect!
lol garbanzo beans to golf balls made me laugh.

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
We just had some hot weather where I live, up over 30C. Neither of my dogs had much appetite. Then the temperature dropped back down to 18C. The puppy started sucking up food like a vacuum cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
It's possible you're over-feeding him then, and he's just saying "No thanks!" :)

My one concern with leaving his food down would be all the perishables you're adding. You don't want to leave egg, chicken, or chicken broth out, or anything that's come into contact with them. A compromise would be to leave each meal down for an hour and then into the trash it goes.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don't think there has ever been a basically healthy dog who has starved to death being picky. Many, if not most, poodles are not as enthusiastic about food as many other breeds are. If you cave in to it by offering lots of tasty delicacies you are just exacerbating the behavior. I suggest you put down a small bowl of plain dry kibble, leave it for 15 minutes, then pick it up. Put it down again at the next regular mealtime. Refrain from making a big deal of it, just put it down and walk off.

You may have to do this for two or three days before your dog realizes that better stuff is not forthcoming and eats it. This does take strength of character on your part, but think of it as "I caused this problem and now I have to fix it".

I used to have a whippet who ate very little. She was very, very thin. We would offer the most delicious foods and she would eat a little bit and walk away. She was so skinny that I usually put a sweater on her when we were out in public because I did not want people to think we were deliberately starving her. When she was about 13, I had her x-rayed for another condition. The vet called all his staff in to see the x-ray - she had a horrendously enlarged heart that pressed on her stomach! In spite of it all, that sweet old dog lived to 15 1/2 years. She was the ruler of the house dogs - she would show the tip of a canine tooth if the young dogs got too boisterous and they would fall in line immediately!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts