Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my mini pup tomorrow (yay!!). Right now he's a big ball of fluff! However, it is very hot where I live and I'm concerned that he won't be comfortable with all that hair. Is it okay to clip them short, even as a puppy? Is there any reason not to that I'm not thinking of?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I am getting my mini pup tomorrow (yay!!). Right now he's a big ball of fluff! However, it is very hot where I live and I'm concerned that he won't be comfortable with all that hair. Is it okay to clip them short, even as a puppy? Is there any reason not to that I'm not thinking of?
Congrats! I believe you are getting your poodle from Donnchada so he should already have some grooming experience. There is nothing wrong with grooming a puppy short, but puppy hair is not as dense so I would probably not go super short. I did mine at 3/4" when he was little but I think anything down to a 1/2" should be fine. Also be prepared to have a less than perfect cut at first. Puppies can be very wiggly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! I believe you are getting your poodle from Donnchada so he should already have some grooming experience. There is nothing wrong with grooming a puppy short, but puppy hair is not as dense so I would probably not go super short. I did mine at 3/4" when he was little but I think anything down to a 1/2" should be fine. Also be prepared to have a less than perfect cut at first. Puppies can be very wiggly.
So in an unexpected turn of events, 1 week before the Donnchada litter was born, another breeder I had spoken with reached out and had a six week old with the traits/temperament I was looking for. So, I forfeited my deposit on the Donnchada litter. That said, my puppy is coming home with grooming experience as well, so while I'm expecting a learning curve (for us both!) I'm hoping those positive first experiences make it a bit easier. I'll try 3/4" first, and see what I think! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
Galen got his first big boy cut this week, because he was miserably hot. We left his body at around 3/4, though it looks shorter because of the curl. I'm glad we didn't go shorter. We are in peak deer fly season here. They keep landing on him during walks, but they can't get to the skin to bite him (unless they aim for his muzzle or shaved base of tail.)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Another note... I live in high heat as well and I make sure to keep a really clean tummy. I lay dog on his back and go very short all the way up to where his ribs start. I clean the upper part of hind legs as well. Those areas do not show unless they lay on their back anyway, and it is very helpful to keep them cool and clean, especially with the boys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts