Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed shortly after doing Olies face and neck that there is a little spec or two of blood under the skin. It's not a cut but even so I am wondering if that is normal? I love doing the trimming and I think I am improving but I certainly do not want to be hurting him.

Any suggestions as to why? Also what size blade for you use for face, feet, and neck? I would like to get a smaller set for the feet too, I think it would be much easier on him.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm afraid to say it is probably you. It's VERY easy to dig at the neck or face a little with the blade, and because you're using such a short blade, it's easy to press too hard and nick them too.

You need to just keep practising, and using a *really* light hand, don't press against the skin at all really, just let the blade slip along over it. If you're prone to missing a bit, go slower and more carefully rather than going back over the same spot again and again; you're likely to scrape the skin then. And don't let the teeth of the blade dig in at all, keep it fairly flat against the skin!

You can use any size blade, though for some light dogs a super short blade (30 or 40) will be too short. For pets I use a 10 or 15, I use a 30 on Paris.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid to say it is probably you. It's VERY easy to dig at the neck or face a little with the blade, and because you're using such a short blade, it's easy to press too hard and nick them too.

You need to just keep practising, and using a *really* light hand, don't press against the skin at all really, just let the blade slip along over it. If you're prone to missing a bit, go slower and more carefully rather than going back over the same spot again and again; you're likely to scrape the skin then. And don't let the teeth of the blade dig in at all, keep it fairly flat against the skin!

You can use any size blade, though for some light dogs a super short blade (30 or 40) will be too short. For pets I use a 10 or 15, I use a 30 on Paris.
Well thanks for being honest thats what I needed to hear!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Honestly it's probably you but don't feel bad it's very easy to do! It takes practice learning how to hold the blades just right so that they don't dig into the skin, just go slow and plan every stroke at first, if you have 2 speed clippers perhaps use slow speed for starting out.

I like the 15 blade and that's what i usually tell customers who are interested in learning to do it themselves to use. It's a safe blade and can't do nearly as much damage as a 30 or 40 when used improperly or from inexperienced hands. Once you are comfortable with a 15 then you could try a 30/40 but honestly no real reason to go that close on a pet trim..

I also would not suggest the foot and toe blades, they might look easier to work with but the times i've knicked dogs on their feet have been with those silly blades. I find it much easier to work with the standard size. I do a 40 inside the pads and a 15 blade on the outside of the foot.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly it's probably you but don't feel bad it's very easy to do! It takes practice learning how to hold the blades just right so that they don't dig into the skin, just go slow and plan every stroke at first, if you have 2 speed clippers perhaps use slow speed for starting out.

I like the 15 blade and that's what i usually tell customers who are interested in learning to do it themselves to use. It's a safe blade and can't do nearly as much damage as a 30 or 40 when used improperly or from inexperienced hands. Once you are comfortable with a 15 then you could try a 30/40 but honestly no real reason to go that close on a pet trim..

I also would not suggest the foot and toe blades, they might look easier to work with but the times i've knicked dogs on their feet have been with those silly blades. I find it much easier to work with the standard size. I do a 40 inside the pads and a 15 blade on the outside of the foot.
Thanks for the help, I will do that.:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had been using a #30 blade on Gracie's face and tail, but switched to a #10. She is still not thrilled with the end of her snout being shaved, but is getting better. I did buy the item below from Petedge for her feet and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is a #40 but it is so easy to use because it is so small. I am having so much fun grooming her! Hope this helps.
Oster Whisper Quiet Finisher-Trimmer #OS5910

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The suggestions here are great!

I do my own too and was very careful when I first started with a #10. I have been either really careful or very luck or a bit of both since I have only caused razor burn twice in just over a year of doing my own grooming. Thankfully, my sister guided me as to what to do and what not to do which is just as important. I just graduated to the #30 to do grooming for shows and am comfortable with it.

Take your time and follow the recommendations and you should do just fine.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I was doing well and then suddenly here as of late I got a couple spots...ikes. I know inexperience is one issue, I am thinking it might be the blade too??? Maybe getting dull, IDK.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The way I judge the saftey of a blade is looking at the distance the teeth have from eachother and how close the blade is to the end of the teeth. I LOVE 40 blades because I can't even get my fingernail between the teeth, so I trust that one a lot. I don't really like my 15 or 30 because the teeth are pretty far apart and the blade is close to them, meaning that skin can go easily between the teeth and the blade is closer to cutting them.

Out of all my short blades, I trust the 10 and 40 the most. So, just like everyone else is suggesting, just press lighter. :) It takes a bit of practice, but it sounds like your poo is being patient with you.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The way I judge the saftey of a blade is looking at the distance the teeth have from eachother and how close the blade is to the end of the teeth. I LOVE 40 blades because I can't even get my fingernail between the teeth, so I trust that one a lot. I don't really like my 15 or 30 because the teeth are pretty far apart and the blade is close to them, meaning that skin can go easily between the teeth and the blade is closer to cutting them.

Out of all my short blades, I trust the 10 and 40 the most. So, just like everyone else is suggesting, just press lighter. :) It takes a bit of practice, but it sounds like your poo is being patient with you.
That makes sence, thanks! Olie does real well, he is good boy:)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, that's why a 7F can be so nasty; it's teeth are the same spacing as a 5F, but the running blade is soooo much closer to the skin... ugh! Same with the 15 having the same teeth spacing as a 10.

Generally the lil dots of blood are more from digging the front edge in a little rather than nicking or razor burn. Nicks are just what they sound like, and a razor burn is just like a red rash too, not so much the lil pin prick dots. The pin pricks are from the teeth of the blade poking in. Make sure you pull the skin taut, and don't dig the front edge of the blade into the skin; just keep the whole thing pretty flat against the skin and glide it along. If you miss a bit; who really cares! Practise carefully, and dont' worry about a perfect trim at first, develop your technique and then you can develop perfection on clipping. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts