Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.5 year-old Standard Silver named Lulu. I got her at nearly 6 months, so I didn't have the early puppy phase to bond with her, but we are stuck like glue now!

What I want to know is DO POODLES WHINE? Lulu doesn't make a peep, except for snorting when she's excited to see us. She rarely barks (except for occasionally outside) or even makes a fuss about wanting to go outside (which led to a few accidents when we first got her). She is my first poodle and I don't really know anyone else with a Standard.

Don't get me wrong, I think I'm incredibly lucky that she's so well-behaved, but I'm just wondering if this is typical poodle behaviour?

So tell me, how vocal are your poodles?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I can only tell you about mine:

Olie is just now starting to bark more he is 6 months
Suri - doesn't bark much if so its when she see's people in other yards. She whines a bit in excitement when we come home.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy isn't a standard, but he doesn't bark excessively. He sometimes whines when he hears the little Maltese downstairs barking when his owner leaves. I think he's just feeling sorry for the little guy (who gets left alone often). I've heard him bark like a watchdog on three occasions (for which I praised him) and he barks when he is picking on the cat (for which he gets scolded). Otherwise, he's a relatively quiet dog. I really don't think anyone gets a poodle to be an alarm dog. They make good watchdogs, but they aren't really going to bark their heads off like some other breeds do.

Oh, and yeah, he wimpers when I come back after being gone, even if it was just for five minutes. LOL

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jupiter barks when excited, like when we first get to the dogpark, but it is very short. Mercury barks only when soneone pulls up to the house. 2 barks and thats it. He does groan though, a lot. He groans when I pet him especially. When I first got him I though it was because he didn't like it but I soon learned his groaning is a happy noise. I don't think either has ever whined though.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I've had Atticus, hes a toy not a standard, for almost 3 months and I've only heard him bark maybe 10 times since I've had him and it was when he was playing with my mom's dachshund. All the other dogs at the house bark ALOT and at everything so I'm hoping he doesnt pick up on that.

The standard foster I had barked alot. She barked at people coming in cause she was excited, and she barked while he was outside and if someone was at the door. She also made really weird chewbacca noises while she played.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Standard is 10 months old and very quiet. He is a great watchdog however. He will stand up and BARK when he thinks it warranted and since I got him to BE a watchdog, he gets praised for that. When I tell him "Enough." He stops. He never whines, even to go out. He just sits and looks at me when he needs to. He is a very mellow, kind dog. We also feel very blessed as he is our first Poodle as well!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My standard is erm... relatively quiet. :D He used to never bark except when he got really surprised (when someone would come up to the door or whatever) and occasionally when we played. When he hit 8 months or so, he kicked it up a notch and now barks frequently when we play. I allow it once or twice, but nothing further and I tell him "Enough! Shh!" if he barks. One good thing came of it though- he now barks and "woo"s on cue. :) We're working on stopping the unnecessary barking during play, as I'm sure the neighbors don't appreciate it. I always allow grumbling and growling during play though. Some people may disagree with me on that, but I love his play growl, and he only does it when he's having a LOT of fun so I like to encourage him to have fun. :)

He goes bananas if he sees someone walking outside. I swear, they must think we have a Rottweiler packed away back here!! He's got a BIG bark when he wants to! He doesn't bark when people come near the back door though (which is our main door), just out in the front walkway.

I've never heard him whine though.. he's grumbled and sighed and groaned, but never whimpered or whined.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Flash is about 1 3/4 years old. He's a standard, and he does bark EVERY time he hears someone or something out front of our house. He also barks when he gets very excited. I've never heard him whine except as a precursor to a howl (he has a very funny howl, which he uses whenever my alarm clock goes off--something about that sound drives him crazy).
Most of the Standards I've met were very inclined to bark, but I know there are some quiet ones. I think you just got really lucky!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have had my standard for 3 months now. He was almost 6 months when I got him and was a kennel dog. In the biginning he was very quite but now if he is on the bed with me and hears someone at the door he barks and growls. Only other time he barks is when my hubby tells him to speak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone, it looks like as a general rule, standards (at least) are not whiners. You're right though, they do have big barks. I love that their bad habits seem to be so easy to work with. When a stranger comes over and Lulu barks once or twice, all I have to do is say enough and she stops. She's very shy, so most of her growls and barks are from fright. In fact, her first response to any new situation is fear. I find if I let her have a moment to process it, she usually figures out that it's not a threat. Smart dogs these poodles!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well Mister Man is too vocal sometimes. He tries to be tough and bark to "guard" the car and house but when he's playing he wont make a peep and even at the dog poark he doesnt bark too much.
I dont encourage barking so he doesnt do it much except like i said in the car.
As for whinning ive only heard him do it once and it was the most pathetic sound id ever heard HA HA HA. I was at work bathing all my kids and Mister got done first i blew some water off him then stuck him in a kennel, i went to go work on Osita. I heard this pathetic whine that just broke my heart. He was so upset that he wasnt right by my side. Since that day i havent heard him whine again. Makes me think that he would be a little skitsy at the groomers. I do it myself tho so no worries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts