Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my baby is due very very soon. And with money being tight at the moment we aren't going to be able to board our two dogs like we planned. So I tried to get relatives to watch them, but no one wants too. (Most of my relatives hate dogs or have one dog in their home and don't want to deal with another much less 2)

Anyways. So I tried to get my mother to watch Zachary (our minature poodle), because he would atleast be with someone he knows and is comfortable with. And we figured we could just leave Sasha (our terrier mix) home and every 6 hours or so my husband could come home and let her out, play with her, feed her at meal time. And then come back to the hospital to be with me and the baby. Ofcourse during labor, someone else will have to tend to her, but I have that worked out.

Problem is my mother doesn't want to watch him, but offered to pay to board just Zachary.

Now I don't know how well Zachary would handle that...he is a very nervous dog. And he really has never been away from Sasha atleast not overnight (not since Sasha was spayed, Zack went and stayed with my grandparents because he was bothering her while she was trying to recover). We got Sasha when Zack was 8 months old and he is very clingy to her. He does okay on seperate outings from her as long as its not over a few hours and then he starts to get nervous.

I can't have him at home worrying that he is going to be barking the whole time and disturbing the neighbors (and he does have to be crated when we are gone, Sasha isn't crated) while I'm having a baby and recovering. But I worry that separating them is a bad idea.

What would you suggest in this situation, go ahead and send him? Or leave him home, caged up for the good part of 2 days (assuming all goes as planned) and risk him getting upset and barking and disturbing the neighbors. (Though he is pretty good at not barking when we are gone, but we are never gone for more than 3-4 hours at a time, ever)

What should we do?

(I'm also considering depending on how much boarding is, if my mother is paying for Zachary, going ahead and boarding Sasha too (depending on price). I'm going to set things up with the vets office today. (Basically put them on standby, they said that would be fine since babys don't come on a schedule)

But if I can't board Sasha, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I wanted to add: I don't even worry about leaving Sasha home. This dog doesn't even bark (I'm starting to wonder if she has forgotten how. She has barked before but she is real good, she never barks in the apartment.)

She is just a more well adjusted dog, she doesn't care if Zack or us is around or not, as long as she can nap and/or watch tv.

I'm just scared separting them with his anxiety issues, may put too much stress on his little heart (his heart starts beating so hard and so fast when he gets upset)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, in my opinion, it depends on many things. But, one thing I was thinking was, maybe it would be good for him to be away from Sasha for 2-3 days, maybe he might realize that he does not have to be dependent on her so much. Obviously this dependency is not a good thing for him and this could be a chance to give him the idea that being away is not so horrible... I mean, a few hours is not a long time and then he comes back when he is all nervous and wanting to see Sasha. In this situation, he would have time to work things our mentally, work through his nervousness. Just a thought.

Of course, he could just end up being nervous the whole time he is away, but I think that it would not be bad for him to not have to cling to Sasha for support, might be the beginning of him being able to move forward from this insecurity.

Good luck with whatever you decide! AND, BEST wishes for a happy, healthy delivery. (and quick...lol)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Do you have any family around that can manage to come in and let them out every few hours? When I had my oldest, my mom was there and my best friend, so my husband could spend the time with me and the baby at the hospital. I have a nervous dog who is skittish around new people and it takes her time to build up trust with them. So between my mom and Angie, there was someone at my house every 3 or 4 hours to let the dogs out. We ended up being in the hospital for 17 days, so you do need to have a contingency plan for your pets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts